Turn on thread page Beta

Have no idea what to do with my life? 25yo graduate watch

ReputationRep:
    I am in a very difficult and transient stage in my life...but it just seems to be so dark and incredibly depressing.

I'm 25years of age, a graduate having completed my studies (although technically graduate in Jan 2016).

I have a degree in Digital Media, and whilst I know many people will tell me this is a useless degree, to me, design/graphic design and the like is my passion.

Problem is, I am unable to find work. I have applied for loads and loads of jobs. Grad schemes, full time work, and even unrelated work (McDonalds etc etc.).

I got rejected from McDonalds- no idea why- though I think my OJE went terrible, this aside, the I tackled the interview well and passed all other stages of the recruitment.

I currently work in a part time job on min wage, and it isn't giving me much joy. In fact, it is grinding me down. I've had it as a student job for the last 8 years.

I am looking for work in a new area- in relation to my search, but it is fruitless.

My job search is tiresome, and I hardly ever design new stuff or add to my portfolio. This has even questioned my ambition and drive for my subject. I barely focus anymore, I have no passion or idea what I want to do, or what I need to do.

I spend half my time getting merrily pissed almost daily. Partner is concerned I have a drink issue.

What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    I am in a very difficult and transient stage in my life...but it just seems to be so dark and incredibly depressing.

I'm 25years of age, a graduate having completed my studies (although technically graduate in Jan 2016).

I have a degree in Digital Media, and whilst I know many people will tell me this is a useless degree, to me, design/graphic design and the like is my passion.

Problem is, I am unable to find work. I have applied for loads and loads of jobs. Grad schemes, full time work, and even unrelated work (McDonalds etc etc.).

I got rejected from McDonalds- no idea why- though I think my OJE went terrible, this aside, the I tackled the interview well and passed all other stages of the recruitment.

I currently work in a part time job on min wage, and it isn't giving me much joy. In fact, it is grinding me down. I've had it as a student job for the last 8 years.

I am looking for work in a new area- in relation to my search, but it is fruitless.

My job search is tiresome, and I hardly ever design new stuff or add to my portfolio. This has even questioned my ambition and drive for my subject. I barely focus anymore, I have no passion or idea what I want to do, or what I need to do.

I spend half my time getting merrily pissed almost daily. Partner is concerned I have a drink issue.

What can I do?
    Drink less booze and apply for more jobs, it's pretty obvious. I am sorry to be so blunt but it's the truth, and deep inside you know that too, drowning your sorrows is never a solution my friend. I know how tough it is when you're searching for a job, seeing everyone around you get on with life and you're just stuck in an endless pendulum of job applications and rejections. I despised being stuck at home and consistently browsing through countless job vacancies online, but it has to be done (unless you're well connected and someone can help you get your foot in the door). The only real advice I can give you is going to sound pretty cliché, but keep trying. You mentioned that you are starting to doubt your enthusiasm for digital media? Don't get stuck in the frame of mind that dictates your goal in life, how about doing some volunteering and try knuckling down what captivates your interest? You might be surprised how helpful self-reflection can be in your situation.

Good luck pal, hope I helped a little.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up buddy, you're not alone. Maybe work on a long term project, take the hard way out of the maze. Advice easier given than adhered to admittedly.

ReputationRep:
    How about saving up a little money and go traveling? You don't have to go for a long time, but perhaps a change of scenery, new experiences, and a break from your current situation would help you to get your confidence and passion back.
    I know saving money is difficult, especially when you're working part time and have other commitments- so maybe my suggestion is futile. But whatever the case, don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe being someone elses wage slave isn't the answer?
    Have you considered going self employed?

ReputationRep:
    You've got a partner and a steady job. What more do you want?

ReputationRep:
    >Digital Media

You chose this

ReputationRep:
    Look for internships if you can afford to do so.

Look for jobs further afield/abroad if you can.

Do masters in an unrelated but more employable field

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfl05)
    How about saving up a little money and go traveling? You don't have to go for a long time, but perhaps a change of scenery, new experiences, and a break from your current situation would help you to get your confidence and passion back.
    I know saving money is difficult, especially when you're working part time and have other commitments- so maybe my suggestion is futile. But whatever the case, don't give up.
    Does absolutely nothing. Did this and it was the same thing coming back

OP will probably feel worse after coming back to the same life with less money after spending it travelling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you signed up with a recruitment agency? I was in the same position as you last year and signing up with a recruitment agency is the best thing I did because they helped me improve my CV, they got me going to interviews, and it cut down on the depressing task of trawling through job websites. And even if they don't find you your dream job at least you'll get to meet new people and improve your CV. And remember there's way more people in your position than you might think so don't let it get you down. good luck!

ReputationRep:

What can I do?
    In bold, over-qualified perhaps? I've heard that that's an issue for many graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    In bold, over-qualified perhaps? I've heard that that's an issue for many graduates.
    Yeah I didn't get a job at McDonalds, they are scared at the lack of commitment graduates offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Perhaps yes, as I once thought, however, my fiancee works there and she is a Graduate.

Although, there seems to be disparity from store to store, as my partner had tried to get a job in our university towns' branch and was told 'we don't employ university students/graduates' and came away rather disheartened as she needed work to pay her rent for that academic year. Whereas, now, she works in one where she now lives in a different place.

So in short: Yes I guess I was overqualified, though it depends on the store/branch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    Yeah I didn't get a job at McDonalds, they are scared at the lack of commitment graduates offer.
    Perhaps it is fear of lack of commitment. On the other hand, it may just be down to the discretion of that individual stores' manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceryss)
    Have you signed up with a recruitment agency? I was in the same position as you last year and signing up with a recruitment agency is the best thing I did because they helped me improve my CV, they got me going to interviews, and it cut down on the depressing task of trawling through job websites. And even if they don't find you your dream job at least you'll get to meet new people and improve your CV. And remember there's way more people in your position than you might think so don't let it get you down. good luck!
    I haven't signed up to them as such. But I had been in contact with many recruitment agencies in the city I seek work; primarily emailed them across my CV and enquired as to whether they'd be any immediate vacancies.

In some cases, they got back to me swiftly, with the typical 'I'm afraid there aren't any current vacancies at the moment matching your criteria- though you can sign up for job alerts if any vacancies do arise'. Sometimes they didn't even contact me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    Look for internships if you can afford to do so.

Look for jobs further afield/abroad if you can.

Do masters in an unrelated but more employable field

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,

I've been looking for internships and graduate schemes. Design related ones are like 'diamonds in the rough' to find, and even when I try to broaden the horizon and look for technological/and or marketing grad schemes the requirements are rather specific.

For example, some stipulate that I would need a driving license and that I need to be flexible to travel. I am primarily looking for a job/intern/or place on a grad scheme that is steady and located in Manchester.

Another thing, this is going to sound self-defeatist and a bit backward, but a lot of such schemes require a firm 'numerical' grasp or good level of Math ability, and I don't feel confident in my ability.

I have a very literate mind, and my command of English is generally very good. I can't say the same for Maths. Even my GCSE grade for Maths was diabolical. Therefore, I generally discount myself on these grounds.

Other than the Maths thingy, and the travel demands, I'm good to go. I have a creative mind, insight, willingness to learn, technical ability, a 2:1 classification.

Don't get me wrong, I still look, but as soon as I see the phrases 'must be numerical', 'you'll be working with data/must be good with excel', 'must have a firm grasp with Maths' I kind of recoil and get a bit down. Always had a poor academic record for Mathematics.

As for you suggestion to do a Masters, I have looked into this. I'd love to do one in a field more practicable in terms of making me more employable, however, I just cannot afford to do it.

I've looked into the Open University, but the amount of subjects at Postgrad level is limited. I don't have the funds to do an MBA or anything like that. One avenue I'm interested in is Counselling. The Foundation Degree may be doable (paying in installments), but I've heard it takes years and years to retrain as a Therapist.

I am a very liberal and people-centred person; so anything geared towards helping people, humanitarian, that is creative, would suit me.

Thanks for your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    >Digital Media

You chose this

Whether true or not. This isn't a helpful comment, however, I've come to expect this from some of the more narrow-minded folk on tsr.

Howevert thanks for your 'no so' helpful, but critical suggestion.

What subject do you study?

ReputationRep:

What can I do?
    Honestly I know it doesn't sound that helpful but I would just keep on trying with the job hunt, hand portfolio and CV into anywhere related to our studies, inquire about any opportunities for free work experience etc.

I was in a very similar position until...today. Graduated two years ago with a biological sciences degree but kept getting rejected from basic lab tech jobs, had a few interviews, always someone with job experience got it (according to feedback). However I just kept positive, kept trying, something will turn up etc. Suddenly had a glut of opportunities recently, had 3 interviews last 3 weeks, one ****** me around, other got through to second round but got rejected, other one just had job offer today.

If all else failed I was seriously considering going for a HGV licence next year lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Honestly I know it doesn't sound that helpful but I would just keep on trying with the job hunt, hand portfolio and CV into anywhere related to our studies, inquire about any opportunities for free work experience etc.

I was in a very similar position until...today. Graduated two years ago with a biological sciences degree but kept getting rejected from basic lab tech jobs, had a few interviews, always someone with job experience got it (according to feedback). However I just kept positive, kept trying, something will turn up etc. Suddenly had a glut of opportunities recently, had 3 interviews last 3 weeks, one ****** me around, other got through to second round but got rejected, other one just had job offer today.

If all else failed I was seriously considering going for a HGV licence next year lmao.
    Cheers Stories like this make me feel a hell of a lot better! All the best with your future job sir!

ReputationRep:
    Don't, whatever you do, get complacent and sit around waiting for life to drop your calling out of the sky. It won't happen. Get out there and try things out - try everything that interests you. Research every avenue. Be proactive. Don't expect an epiphany. It's taken me 3 years since graduation to find the right path and I'm going back to uni to re-qualify. It's not easy, but don't give up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.