Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I achieved really bad GCSE results when I was at school, 2 B's and 6 C's. Now I'm a mature student and have 4 A's at AS. I'm guessing at interview(if i get one) they may ask what happened and I don't really have a valid excuse, mainly because I was lazy back then. Obviously want a better reason than that though! any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Considering you're a mature student, saying you were lazy about it isn't the worst thing you could say. Because your AS results show you have changed your attitude towards education.

What are you applying for? What did you get for English and Maths? What are your AS subjects? What are you continuing to A2?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ccfctom)
    I achieved really bad GCSE results when I was at school, 2 B's and 6 C's. Now I'm a mature student and have 4 A's at AS. I'm guessing at interview(if i get one) they may ask what happened and I don't really have a valid excuse, mainly because I was lazy back then. Obviously want a better reason than that though! any ideas?
    It's unlikely they would ask - except maybe to understand how you managed to improve so much (congrats by the way . But if they did; your being "lazy" as a teenager and much more dilligent as a mature applicant would be a perfectly reasonable (and true) response.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzie97)
    Considering you're a mature student, saying you were lazy about it isn't the worst thing you could say. Because your AS results show you have changed your attitude towards education.

What are you applying for? What did you get for English and Maths? What are your AS subjects? What are you continuing to A2?
    Land economy.

B's

Maths, Economics, Psychology, Government & Politics

Maths, Economics, Psychology

ReputationRep:
    As long as you achieve good grades in a-levels, your GCSE result doesn't really matter (unless you apply for medicine). Just be honest in the very unlikely event of them asking you the reason.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let your past determine your future, A-levels grades count more I say

ReputationRep:
    Land economy.

B's

Maths, Economics, Psychology, Government & Politics

Maths, Economics, Psychology
    I read somewhere that Cambridge will question, at interview, if you got C grades at GCSE. But it's less relevant for you since you're a mature applicant, you may as well be honest. It looks good that you now care and have changed those GCSEs in 4As at AS. Also, they won't care about the maths grade as much since you got an A at AS maths.

Good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    Have you applied to a mature college? What were your UMS marks at AS?
    How old are you now (if you don't mind saying)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have to explain bad A-Levels (3 x C's) and the truth is I was a stoner back then (4 yrs ago) lol so don't worry about it as long as you come across a keen enthusiastic learner, and your most recent grades are great I don't think they'll care.

If you need a reason I'm just going to say I had trouble at home. (sort of true as I moved out originally because I didn't get on with my stepdad which lead me to living with a stoner which lead me to become a stoner lol)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by cbaker22)
    I'm going to have to explain bad A-Levels (3 x C's) and the truth is I was a stoner back then (4 yrs ago) lol so don't worry about it as long as you come across a keen enthusiastic learner, and your most recent grades are great I don't think they'll care.

If you need a reason I'm just going to say I had trouble at home. (sort of true as I moved out originally because I didn't get on with my stepdad which lead me to living with a stoner which lead me to become a stoner lol)
    Are you applying to Cambridge? With additional qualifications?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Are you applying to Cambridge? With additional qualifications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, not Cambridge. I grew up there it's a lovely place you'll enjoy it. I'm applying to Brighton and Sussex

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.