Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been struggling with this question for a few days now.

A mixture contained 1 mol of ethanoic acid and 5 moles of ethanol. After the system had come to equilibrium, a portion of the mixture was titrated against 0.2moldm^-3 NaOH. The titration showed that the whole of the equilibrium mixture would require 289cm^3 of alkaline to neutralise.

Calculate Kc

ReputationRep:
    K.C
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Bevin)
    Been struggling with this question for a few days now.

A mixture contained 1 mol of ethanoic acid and 5 moles of ethanol. After the system had come to equilibrium, a portion of the mixture was titrated against 0.2moldm^-3 NaOH. The titration showed that the whole of the equilibrium mixture would require 289cm^3 of alkaline to neutralise.

Calculate Kc
    Do you know how to do an ICE on the equation?

Initial moles of all of the components
    Equilibrium moles using the fact that only the ethanoic acid reacts with NaOH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Do you know how to do an ICE on the equation?

Initial moles of all of the components
    Equilibrium moles using the fact that only the ethanoic acid reacts with NaOH
    I have only had one lesson on Kc and the only example we covered was when you are given the mass of the components in the question and had to work out the number of moles at equilibrium by using n=m/mr then the difference between the starting number of moles and the end meant you could work out the number of moles of the products, and then sub it into the Kc equation. Also I've never had a question where you have to use a titration equation with Kc which has stumped me too.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Bevin)
    I have only had one lesson on Kc and the only example we covered was when you are given the mass of the components in the question and had to work out the number of moles at equilibrium by using n=m/mr then the difference between the starting number of moles and the end meant you could work out the number of moles of the products, and then sub it into the Kc equation. Also I've never had a question where you have to use a titration equation with Kc which has stumped me too.

The titration is used only to find the moles of ethanoic acid = MV(NaOH)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    The titration is used only to find the moles of ethanoic acid = MV(NaOH)
    Right. And that would be the number of moles at equilibrium? So then I could find the difference between the starting number of moles and as it is 1:1, I could apply that to the products?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Bevin)
    Right. And that would be the number of moles at equilibrium? So then I could find the difference between the starting number of moles and as it is 1:1, I could apply that to the products?
    yes, the stoichiometry of the balanced equation allows you to find all the values.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.