Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying my GCSE'S and will sit them all in June/July time. I have already achieved an A in my Core science and am predicted A*'s in all of my subjects. The A-levels i want to pick so far (that I am certain i want to do) are Chemistry,Physics and Maths the problem is my last option i am not sure whether to pick Further Maths or Economics. It seems to me that Further Maths is the more reputable of the two but i am worrying whether or not i will find to too difficult and not achieve a good grade in it.

I am interested in studying Engineering at University particularly Chemical Engineering.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Frazer001)
    I am currently studying my GCSE'S and will sit them all in June/July time. I have already achieved an A in my Core science and am predicted A*'s in all of my subjects. The A-levels i want to pick so far (that I am certain i want to do) are Chemistry,Physics and Maths the problem is my last option i am not sure whether to pick Further Maths or Economics. It seems to me that Further Maths is the more reputable of the two but i am worrying whether or not i will find to too difficult and not achieve a good grade in it.

I am interested in studying Engineering at University particularly Chemical Engineering.
    Hmm, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.

Anyway, further maths is not that much harder than A-level maths IMO. It's simply an extension of the concepts that you would've already learnt, as well as a basic introduction to some more advanced stuff. You should be fine, especially considering that you're an A* GCSE student. Don't forget that FM will look better than Economics on your application for CE (or any kind of Engineering for that matter).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Hmm, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.

Anyway, further maths is not that much harder than A-level maths IMO. It's simply an extension of the concepts that you would've already learnt, as well as a basic introduction to some more advanced stuff. You should be fine, especially considering that you're an A* GCSE student. Don't forget that FM will look better than Economics on your application for CE (or any kind of Engineering for that matter).
    Sorry if this is in the wrong area its my first post

Thank you for your answer i think it would make sense for my to choose further maths if i want to do CE at a good University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frazer001)

I'm doing my further maths A2 at the moment, and I did AS economics. I have to say, further maths is a lot easier in a sense that it's the same subject, just more work, whereas economics is a completely different subject, which doesn't involve any maths at A level, but only do further maths if you're actually good at maths (A* at gcse doesn't mean you're amazing btw), and it looks a lot better on personal statement.
    Economics is more interesting I guess, but I hated the exam structure and essays, just endless essays hahah

As our head of maths says, Further maths counts as 2.25 subjects, wheareas you do work for 1.5

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.