The Student Room Group

Fundamental forces

Hi! Can someone please explain fundamental forces to me? My teacher is kind of useless 😒 all I've got so far is that they involve exchange particles which somehow exist because of borrowed energy. Also what particles feel what force? I think I understand gravity and electrostatic attraction but what about strong and weak force? Thanks 😊
Reply 1
Original post by ellyh
Hi! Can someone please explain fundamental forces to me? My teacher is kind of useless 😒 all I've got so far is that they involve exchange particles which somehow exist because of borrowed energy. Also what particles feel what force? I think I understand gravity and electrostatic attraction but what about strong and weak force? Thanks 😊

So the 4 forces act on different molecules. Gravity acts on everything with a mass, weak acts on everything, electrostatic acts on anything with a charge and strong acts on anything made up of quarks ie hadrons.
For ranges, gravity and electromagnetic are infinite, weak is 1/1000x diameter of a proton and strong is half the diameter of a nucleus but is really strange.
For strengths, strong force is repulsive between 0 to 0.5 femtometers and 10^38 x stronger than gravity (attractive) between 0.t and 3/4 femtometers.
hey ... can u explain what electrostatic force is please ?
Original post by sananahas
hey ... can u explain what electrostatic force is please ?

It's a force that accounts for the interaction between charged particles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
It's a force that accounts for the interaction between charged particles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

does that mean the force between electrons and protons?
Reply 5

Yes but not limited to. It would also include ions such as Na+ to Cl- or anything with opposing charges

Yes, and, as the above poster mentioned, the force between anything carrying an electric charge.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by myabzz
Yes but not limited to. It would also include ions such as Na+ to Cl- or anything with opposing charges
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yes, and, as the above poster mentioned, the force between anything carrying an electric charge.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest