Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me. I'm thinking of quitting college, I'm in my second year, and working for a year before moving to Germany and studying an online degree with The Open University. I've never really enjoyed college, and due to many problems at home I will be moving out next year to be with my girlfriend in Germany. I'm finding it very hard to motivate myself to go to lecture due to anxiety and general lack of confidence etc.
    My current plan is to leave college, work until the summer and earn money to move, then start the online course when I'm out there.
    I hope someone has some experience with this and can help me out as I'm very new to open courses and need some advice.
    Thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by YazminL97)
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me. I'm thinking of quitting college, I'm in my second year, and working for a year before moving to Germany and studying an online degree with The Open University. I've never really enjoyed college, and due to many problems at home I will be moving out next year to be with my girlfriend in Germany. I'm finding it very hard to motivate myself to go to lecture due to anxiety and general lack of confidence etc.
    My current plan is to leave college, work until the summer and earn money to move, then start the online course when I'm out there.
    I hope someone has some experience with this and can help me out as I'm very new to open courses and need some advice.
    Thanks.
    You need to be completely honest with yourself about why you lack motivation. Studying with the OU requires a lot of motivation because you're studying by yourself. You do get a certain amount of support, but it's up to you to do the work and ask for help if you need it. So if you lack the confidence to ask for help (which can be done by email, phone, or on the online forums) you won't get anywhere. If you're struggling with the work and trying to persuade yourself that things will be better if you leave, well, OU work gets difficult too.

A lot of people start studying with the OU but not as many complete degrees. You need to ensure this is the right choice to ensure you're not one of the failures.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.