When do the banks start their student accounts?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
When do the banks start their student accounts? I have my AS12 letter and everything so I would like to open my student account but don't want to miss out on the freebies!!
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
When do the banks start their student accounts? I have my AS12 letter and everything so I would like to open my student account but don't want to miss out on the freebies!!
Its all about the freebies!
mg84
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was wondering about that, as I'm in the same position. I don't know about the bank branches, but none of the student accounts available on the internet seem to be for the 2004/05 academic year yet. I want to ensure that I get a student railcard if I can, as I'll be using the trains regularly from September.
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
after you have met the conditions of your offer you can open a student account.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fluffy)
after you have met the conditions of your offer you can open a student account.
I have an unconditional offer so i have met the conditions now...but i still want to get the freebies !!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have an unconditional offer so i have met the conditions now...but i still want to get the freebies !!
You will get more freebies if you wait til the freshers fair at your uni and sign up with a bank then.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fluffy)
You will get more freebies if you wait til the freshers fair at your uni and sign up with a bank then.
the thing is- i need to give my student account details to the slc...

i suppose my question really is...if i sign up with a bank now for a student account will i still get the free railcard or £50 or whever the gimmick is??
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

i suppose my question really is...if i sign up with a bank now for a student account will i still get the free railcard or £50 or whever the gimmick is??
you should get that - the standard bribe should still count whenever/wherever you open your account.

However, you can guarentee that at the freshers fayre there will be other freebies in addition to the advertised ones.
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

It doesn't matter that the details given to the SLC are not for a student account. I've given the SLC the details of my savings account for the moment. When I get a student account I'll inform them of the change or just transfer money from my savings accounts when I receive the loan.
sparkler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mg84)
I've given the SLC the details of my savings account for the moment. When I get a student account I'll inform them of the change or just transfer money from my savings accounts when I receive the loan.
me too! i have a question though - what is the main difference between my current account and a student's account?? is it just the overdraft business and the freebies???

Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sparkler)
me too! i have a question though - what is the main difference between my current account and a student's account?? is it just the overdraft business and the freebies???

Free over draft is more than just
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i got a letter through from hsbc saying that if i met the conditions of my offer i'd be automatically switched to the student bank account, getting a 5 year railcard with it as well.

or £50, but i'd rather have the railcard.

is it possible to sign up to 2 or more student bank accounts?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pinkegokane)
i got a letter through from hsbc saying that if i met the conditions of my offer i'd be automatically switched to the student bank account, getting a 5 year railcard with it as well.

or £50, but i'd rather have the railcard.

is it possible to sign up to 2 or more student bank accounts?
Apparently you are not meant to although i know of people who have. If you get found out they aren't very nice about it.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I already have a student account... HSBC switched it automatically when I turned 18- although I still have to take my confirmation in after results before I can get the benefits. Although they sent me a letter at the weekend saying that I could the 5 year rail card right now if I sent off this card thing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (30)
7.96%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (32)
8.49%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (84)
22.28%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (49)
13%
No, nothing has changed (112)
29.71%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (70)
18.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed