Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hii!! Trying to do my homework on differentiating using the quotient, product and chain rules. I know how to use the actual formula and can write down the first line by putting both parts of fraction into equation but after that I'm stuck (with the simplifying)!

1. Differentiate x
    sqrt x+3

2. Differentiate y = x sqrt 3 - x

3. Differentiate y = sqrt x
    4x+2

Any help would be lovely! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieee1513)
    Hii!! Trying to do my homework on differentiating using the quotient, product and chain rules. I know how to use the actual formula and can write down the first line by putting both parts of fraction into equation but after that I'm stuck (with the simplifying)!

1. Differentiate x
    sqrt x+3

4x+2

Are you struggling with knowing which rule to use, or are you just stuck with simplifying?
    With simplifying, look for common factors to take out, with the quotient rule, cancel brackets where you can.
    The advice given to me was, however, to not simplify the differential if you need to put a value of x in to find the gradient of the curve at that x value. If you don't get the simplification exactly right, it'll mess up everything else you do afterwards (you might end up being asked to find the equation of a tangent or normal to the curve, etc) and it's not worth losing accuracy marks for. In other cases, you'll likely want to simplify though.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ellieee1513)

1. Differentiate x
    sqrt x+3

4x+2

Can you post some working, or upload an image, so we can see how far you've got?

Are these supposed to be

\dfrac{x}{\sqrt{x + 3}}

x\sqrt{3 - x}

and

\dfrac{\sqrt{x}}{4x+2}

respectively, or something different? You need to use brackets to make your meaning clear if you don't know how to use Latex

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.