Turn on thread page Beta

Might get kicked out of university because of my mental health... watch

Announcements

It seems I'm now at risk of being thrown out of my university because of my mental health and the warden basically just told me that I make the lives of everyone around me worse and I know that the best way to stay in the university would be to stop talking to any of my friends but I don't know what to do. I was also considering getting help for my eating disorder, but now I know I'll definitely get kicked out if I go to anyone about that. I don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It seems I'm now at risk of being thrown out of my university because of my mental health and the warden basically just told me that I make the lives of everyone around me worse and I know that the best way to stay in the university would be to stop talking to any of my friends but I don't know what to do. I was also considering getting help for my eating disorder, but now I know I'll definitely get kicked out if I go to anyone about that. I don't know what to do
    What's happened that the warden is saying you've made everyone's lives worse? Did you do something?

Does the warden know about your mental health problems? Are you diagnosed with anything?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    In addition to what's been said (which are all very wise questions/points): if you are not already in conversation about this with your uni's disability office, PLEASE get in touch with them ASAP :console:

ReputationRep:
    Why would you get kicked out of uni for having an eating disorder? Have you done something that has caused problems in your flat? I don't really understand.... you kinda need to expand a bit more on what's going on for anyone to help you. Get in touch with student support at uni and see what they can do.

Basically, on sunday I was admitted to hospital for what they thought was a suicide attempt (in reality, I had started seeing things, and **** happened), and that's basically freaked out everyone that I live with. They obviously know about my dpression now, but basically said that they kinda want to force me to leave for the year and if I give them the slightest excuse to do that then they will :/

ReputationRep:
    Basically, on sunday I was admitted to hospital for what they thought was a suicide attempt (in reality, I had started seeing things, and **** happened), and that's basically freaked out everyone that I live with. They obviously know about my dpression now, but basically said that they kinda want to force me to leave for the year and if I give them the slightest excuse to do that then they will :/
    The warden is a ****. Are they a uni employee? If so, I'd make a complain. Telling you that you are basically a burden on your friends is one of the worst things to say to someone with mental health problems. You are not a burden. The fact your mental health problems are upsetting the people you live with is irrelevant unless you are damaging their stuff/threatening them/attacking them which it sounds like you aren't. And suggesting that seeking help for your ED would be a reason to kick you out is ****ing disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    hmm feel for you. It's not as if it's down to exam performance either a la me.

ReputationRep:
    Bad Bad Bad university

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as has been said you need to make a complaint and speak to the disability office at uni. :hugs:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Well, legally, they can't actually do that. They can kick you out if due to your disability you were really under performing, not handing in work, etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As has been said, they legally cannot kick you out/make you interrupt your studies for this alone. Please engage with your local Community Mental Health Team and GP asap, you need help and fast if you are seeing things. It's better to nip this in the bud.

I appreciate it's really hard to stand your ground and be assertive when you are ill and vulnerable but know your rights as someone covered by the Equality Act! Try not to put up with this ****. Def make a complaint and engage with mental health services and your disability office. It's unfortunate that other people freaked out about what happened but that's really not your concern or your problem :nah:

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, I just cannot believe that. They are not allowed to do that! They cannot kick you out. A mental illness is not a reason to downgrade anyone! I don't know what's going on in their heads but I am sure that if you and your family and friends stand up for you and you won't let them treat you like that, they will have no legal background to back up their 'decision'.

Also... I am doing a research for my assessment. I am looking for people who struggle or have ever struggled with a mental illness and would like to talk to me about that. As I have suffered from a mentall illness myself (depression and anxiety), I know that it is not easy but I promise not to ask any irrelevant or uncomfortable questions. Also, as I am doing this for the purpose of my assessment, none of your details would ever be published anywhere. I would be more than grateful if you could help me.

If you feel you could do that for me, please drop me an email at [email address removed] - I won't take much of your time but I will remain grateful for your help.

Especially in this situation. I would like to focus mainly on your opinion on the acceptance (or lack of acceptance) towards students struggling with mental illnesses.

Take care and stay safe. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.