Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Interviews: Experiences with full time/part time employment as a disabled student watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a journalism student and working on an article about the challenges disabled people can face in the job market. I am looking to talk to some disabled students about their experiences in full time or part time employment. ** specifically students who study or live in the Islington, Clerkenwell, Shoreditch and Hackney area, but no students from City University, as I study there.**
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. You could just post some replies or send me some quotes. I do, however, need your name and some contact details. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I live in the Wiltshire area, studying in Swindon with Oxford Brookes for a degree, I'm struggling at the moment to do even the two days of work I am doing alongside my degree are being excruciating Problem is worrying about my attendance makes my anxiety worse

ReputationRep:
    I don't live in those areas but I can give you some input anyway? The challenge I face in the job market is getting rejected because of my hearing disability. I know that if myself and somebody else had the same attributes but she had normal hearing and I have hearing loss - then I know 99% they'll choose her. They dont want to pay for the extra equipment to accommodate me to do the job properly. I have decided I'm not going to mention I've got a hearing loss in any jobs I apply for and if I get it then I will arrange for necessary things to be put into place. At least then we know it is discrimination if they reject me after offering a job because they found out about my hearing loss. So yeah that's the issue I face!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.