The Student Room Group

Foundation year

http://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationcourses/socialsciencefoundationyear/#tabs-4

Hi,
I was looking at this Keele foundation year as a backup and was just wandering if foundation years are free and then when you advance to the first year you pay the normal £9,000 that the website is stating right?

Because atm I'm slightly confused as it's saying it's £9,000 alone for the foundation course which would be incredible having to pay another £9,000 when moving on to the proper course?

Thanks,
any help appreciated.
Original post by alexp98
http://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationcourses/socialsciencefoundationyear/#tabs-4

Hi,
I was looking at this Keele foundation year as a backup and was just wandering if foundation years are free and then when you advance to the first year you pay the normal £9,000 that the website is stating right?

Because atm I'm slightly confused as it's saying it's £9,000 alone for the foundation course which would be incredible having to pay another £9,000 when moving on to the proper course?

Thanks,
any help appreciated.

The foundation year will be £9000. The additional costs thing is about things like lab costs and compulsory field trips.

However, you will get student finance for the foundation year as well as subsequent years, so I wouldn't worry too much about spending an extra year of tuition fees.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
The foundation year will be £9000. The additional costs thing is about things like lab costs and compulsory field trips.

However, you will get student finance for the foundation year as well as subsequent years, so I wouldn't worry too much about spending an extra year of tuition fees.

Hi, thanks for the help, so it will be 18,000 pounds overall? Think then it would just be better to go to a slightly worse uni or just resitting the school year if I don't get into my main choice or insurance than doing that foundation year if it's double the price :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alexp98
Hi, thanks for the help, so it will be 18,000 pounds overall? Think then it would just be better to go to a slightly worse uni if I don't get into my main choice than doing that foundation year if it's double the price :/

It probably isn’t worth taking out more loans just to go to Keele (which frankly isn't terribly prestigious anyway) if you're happy to go to a different university and it does the same course. But if the course at this second university isn't as good then it might be worth doing the foundation year. You should consider the likelihood of you ever repaying the loan in full. Most people won't. Read this.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
It probably isn’t worth taking out more loans just to go to Keele (which frankly isn't terribly prestigious anyway) if you're happy to go to a different university and it does the same course. But if the course at this second university isn't as good then it might be worth doing the foundation year. You should consider the likelihood of you ever repaying the loan in full. Most people won't. Read this.

Thanks, the other uni I was considering as backup was Bristol use which is only 6-7 places below in rankings so seems like I'd probably be better going there than doing a foundation year as Keele doesn't seem that prestigious anywhere in comparison
Original post by alexp98
Thanks, the other uni I was considering as backup was Bristol use which is only 6-7 places below in rankings so seems like I'd probably be better going there than doing a foundation year as Keele doesn't seem that prestigious anywhere in comparison

The University of Bristol or the University of the West of England?
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
The University of Bristol or the University of the West of England?

West of England, my course is Accounting and Finance so although Uni rep isn't as important as a subject like Law, it still does matter to a lot of firms. Although league tables don't say everything this is the ranking for my course:

DMU and Lincoln which are 42 and 43 are my main choices however, If i didn't get in there I was considering the keele fondation, or would it be better just going to Bristol UWE which is still ranked 56, 6 places below Keele. Any help will be very appreciated, my button date to send application of is November 23rd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending