Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have a job offer from one of the Big4 firms for a graduate position starting in September 2017. However, having done the internship at this firm over the summer, I would rather work elsewhere (not to say I didn't enjoy it though). So I was thinking, what happens if I sign the contract and commit to starting in September 2017 but I back out of my agreement sometime next year (so well in advance of the actual start date of the grad programme)? I am told that it is a contractual obligation in the contract but will they sue me or..?

    To be honest, when we started in October our induction managers were still waiting for one girl to arrive. By mid-morning she still hadn't shown up. By lunchtime she had emailed to say she wouldn't be starting. Pretty sure they're doing nothing about it. It's a pretty d*ck* move considering new laptop/phone etc had been purchased and set up for her, she had been booked onto clients for months to come and been booked into college/hotels etc.
    If you give the firm enough time I can't imagine it'll be much of an issue. They have much better things to be doing than suing a graduate who can replaced in a heartbeat.

    There is no chance they would sue you. An employment contract is a promise to deliver your time and services over a period of time in exchange for money. It isn't a promise to deliver something in the future - whoever told you that you had an obligation to work for them a year in the future is wrong. They don't even have an obligation to give you a job, they could at any time terminate the contract for any reason they like and there isn't anything you could do about it.
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources


Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.