The Student Room Group

Sexual objectification of women and feminism.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HepaxLegomenon
How exactly?

I take it you have never actually listened to the song nor looked into the stuff behind it? Or ever heard Thicke speak about it?
What do you mean? When you nod your head yes, but you wanna say no?
Reply 22
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No, it has everything to do with rape, have you heard the lyrics? I'm not just making this up.

You are just assuming things, typical feminist making invalid accusations.
Reply 23
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Blurred Lines was rape apologism. People weren't complaining about the video, it was the 'I know you want it' ****.

It's far from being the worst thing ever said in a song.
Original post by SmashConcept
Some of those lyrics are wrong.

Spoiler

"That man is not your maker" means the guy she's currently with isn't a God and shouldn't be controlling her.

"Shake your rump
Get down, get up-a
Do it like it hurt, like it hurt
What you don't like work
Hey!"

This appears to be a reference to dancing, not sex

"I know you want it" is the only sketchy part of the song, and it's fine for people not to like it for that reason alone.

"Baby, can you breathe
I got this from Jamaica"

You seem like a good, law abiding kid and I don't want to ruin that for you, but he isn't talking about choking her here.

'Maker' or 'Mate' the intent was the same.

Nope, I have always seen it as a reference to sex.

'Baby, can you breathe...I got this from Jamaica' is about choking her :colonhash:
Original post by slade p
You are just assuming things, typical feminist making invalid accusations.

How are my arguments invalid, they are to you because you hate feminism LOL. I have valid points supporting my arguments, thankyou very much!

I am a feminist :smile:
It's very popular these days to complain about the 'sexual objectification' of women in the media...

All hell broke loose in 2013 when the music video for Robin Thicke's song 'Blurred Lines' was released. Just look at the comments section for the video on YouTube. There are comments which even suggest that Thicke himself is a rapist -- all for dancing with some pretty girls for a music video. Yet when the video for Drake's 'Hotline Bling' is released over two years later no one bats an eyelid at the 'objectification' of women in Drake's video. Out of the two, I'd presume Drake's video to be the most offensive (though of course I don't find it offensive) considering the women in this video are just filmed standing on a spot or dancing a bit -- whereas in Thicke's video the women were allowed to basically have a personality.

Why don't people (in particular feminists) care about Drake's video? Is it because Drake is already very popular? I've come to the conclusion that it's because the girls in Drake's video are a bit heavier than the girls in Thicke's videos. The women in Drake's video probably look more similar to the average woman -- and therefore the average feminist. So bearing all of what I've just written in mind, I've decided that this whole trend of complaining about 'sexually objectified' women is all about ego. And it is probably a trend that won't last too much longer.

I will refrain from elaborating as I've already written two paragraph; but what do you think? I'd love to discuss this.

I definitely think it's because Drake is black - if feminists spoke against the video people would pull out the race card and give feminists a worse image than they already have. It's sad that some people are ashamed to admit to being a feminist simply because SOME feminists misunderstand the true meaning and because of this ALOT of people misunderstand the true meaning and assume it's the hatred of men. I personally think it's down to the whole prefix of the word 'feminists' being 'femi' which instantly towers towards the womens side
pefwjpo
(edited 7 years ago)
That video is typical of third wave feminists. A couple of white middle class women, whose only experience with the 'patriarchy' is being catcalled. Is a music video really why we need feminism? Does the developed world need feminism at all? I generally think not.

Oh stop complaining. It's a response to an absolutely disgusting video. Actually, I think it does. Third wave? Not at all.
Original post by ivybridge
Why we need feminism:

[video="youtube;tC1XtnLRLPM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC1XtnLRLPM[/video]

:colone: :lol:

Lmao I love it!!! :biggrin:
ewpewo
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
'Baby, can you breathe...I got this from Jamaica' is about choking her :colonhash:

lol... it really, really isn't. I don't want to explain what comes from Jamaica and makes it difficult to breathe and is often referenced in pop songs, so just trust me. He isn't choking her.

You sound like the kind of person who listens to the radio edit of Trap Queen and thinks "gosh, these two sure will have to sell a lot of pies if they want to end up with matching Lamborghinis! I wonder what all those censored words are about."
That video is typical of third wave feminists. A couple of white middle class women, whose only experience with the 'patriarchy' is being catcalled. Is a music video really why we need feminism? Does the developed world need feminism at all? I generally think not.

Yes it does.

So do the developing, un-developed worlds.

And you don't know that!
Reply 33
46 years ago, Led Zeppelin released Whole Lotta Love. The lyrics were more explicit and "blurred" imo.

Spoiler

I'm surprised nobody has asked its ban yet. I'm sure we can find countless other songs about "men objectifying women".
rtyu
(edited 7 years ago)
What would you want to see happen to Thicke's song/music video? Censor it?

In all honesty, I don't think it should have been permitted to be released. That's my personal opinion.
Original post by SmashConcept
lol... it really, really isn't. I don't want to explain what comes from Jamaica and makes it difficult to breathe and is often referenced in pop songs, so just trust me. He isn't choking her.

You sound like the kind of person who listens to the radio edit of Trap Queen and thinks "gosh, these two sure will have to sell a lot of pies if they want to end up with matching Lamborghinis! I wonder what all those censored words are about."

No , Lmao you just made me laugh though even if that was an insult directed at me :laugh:

I know what comes from Jamaica and I know what he is talking about, but in reference to the song, combined with the rest of the lyrics it gives a bad impression and adds to the rape apologism. That is what I am saying and I know it's referenced in a lot of pop songs but it's easier to look past because other lyrics don't point to rape and no consent.
losers
(edited 7 years ago)
You think it should've been censored to the extent of not even being allowed to be released? Oh my.

You don't think so? Oh my.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCaEO6ue_io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmSxJvvAA-k

These are BRILLIANT debates, however Milo spends the whole time looking down to get his facts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending