Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Choosing A level subjects watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am definitely sure that I will choose both Biology and Chemistry. But for the career choice of dentistry would maths and economics be beneficial or would psychology or sociology be a better option for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely choose maths because biology,chemistry and maths go together and something you learn in one subject you'll learn in a different subject at a different time.For example in AS maths you learn about logarithms and in A2 chemistry you use logarithms for the acids,bases and buffers unit.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok! Thanks🙂 I'm not thrilled about taking maths but if it will complement my overall applications then I can cope ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    my friend wants to be a dentist like you as well and she chose bio,chem and maths

ReputationRep:
    Maths looks better on dentistry and medicine applications if you can cope with it for AS then you can drop it at A2 if it gets too difficult. For the last option I'd choose something you enjoy more maybe psychology or sociology like you said. As long as you have chemistry and biology that is the main thing.

ReputationRep:
    you can never go wrong with maths (unless you completely hate it) - it'll almost always make your application look better!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks🙂 and if I was to take maths, I'm supposed to pick mechanics or statistics ? Which would be better to study for my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinurikasturi)
    I am definitely sure that I will choose both Biology and Chemistry. But for the career choice of dentistry would maths and economics be beneficial or would psychology or sociology be a better option for me?
    You don't need to take Maths - my friend is a dental student who studied Bio, Chem and Psychology.

Do you honestly see yourself being able to achieve an A/A* grade in Maths? If so - go for it. Yes, Maths will look more appealing on your application to other subjects, but only if you achieve an A/A* in the subject.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks🙂 and if I was to take maths, I'm supposed to pick mechanics or statistics ? Which would be better to study for my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kaeden)
    You don't need to take Maths - my friend is a dental student who studied Bio, Chem and Psychology.

Do you honestly see yourself being able to achieve an A/A* grade in Maths? If so - go for it. Yes, Maths will look more appealing on your application to other subjects, but only if you achieve an A/A* in the subject.
    ^this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right now my maths prediction is an A for maths in gcse so idk if an A would be possible in A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Right now my maths prediction is an A for maths in gcse so idk if an A would be possible in A level?
    Of course it is.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get the A at GCSE then you can do it at A level with lots of work. I'm in year 12 and I'm doing maths, my teacher said they've known people who got A* at GCSE in the past have got U at AS with no work, but theres people who got A or B at GCSE and have worked hard and got an A or A* at the end of year 13.

Maths is all about practising, if you work hard you can get the grade you want. I guess it depends if you like maths and you are willing to do a lot of work, if you are then its worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths isn't hard for me it's just the work that goes into it! But I guess if I wanna get into uni I will work as hard as I can for that A/A*.😅😅
    I was also wondering weather sociology or psychology is better to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Maths isn't hard for me it's just the work that goes into it! But I guess if I wanna get into uni I will work as hard as I can for that A/A*.😅😅
    I was also wondering weather sociology or psychology is better to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's your decision. But note that over 40% achieve an A or A* in Maths, vs 17% for both Sociology and Psychology.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exami...ts-summer-2015

ReputationRep:
    I'm still deciding but I will probably take maths. What about economics how hard would it be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.