Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I know it just sounds like something else people can moan about but does anyone think it's legit?

Sometimes I feel people don't take me seriously because of my age and discount everything I have to say because I'm younger. (It happens on tsr as well)
    It's why I don't really like telling people my age because when I do it's like they suddenly lose respect for me.
    I tend to get along better with older people (in their 20s or 30s) but I'm practically a baby to them and they immediately associate me with the 'entitled, spoilt teen' image that's the stereotype of my generation.
    It's like 'you are 16 so your opinion doesn't matter'

Now I know I'm hardly 'oppressed' because of this but it just makes me want to fast forward my life like 10 years.

Does anyone else feel like this?
    And does anyone think ageism is actually a thing?

No one? Okay :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    obviously its a thing you nutjob.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ageism exists but I wouldn't class this as an example of that... and if people make you feel like your opinion doesn't matter they're probably not your friends tbh

(Original post by Eggs20)
    obviously its a thing you nutjob.
    Right well you don't have to be like that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Right well you don't have to be like that :rolleyes:
    Ok I am sorry

Little kid.

ReputationRep:
    Yes obviously it is a thing, if they are stereotyping you as entitled and and spoilt then that is clearly the image you are giving off.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously. Examples:
    You can't vote until you're 18 so obviously some people discredit you're intelligence due to age.
    Education is age based, not knowledge/intelligence based.
    Many organisations and countries reserve important positions to those who have 'aged'.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.