Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My life is winding out of control slowly, I've missed so many classes this year and am falling back on tuition fee payments for both uni and other studies that I'm doing, plus actual work for uni/other extra curricular classes.

I am recovering from a nervous breakdown that I had 5 years ago and I feel I have withdrawn so much since I left sixth form. I unfortunately had a hereditary illness passed on from my father that caused me to have the breakdown, called psychosis.

I just can't be the bright happy girl I was once, just gliding through life. How do I rebuild everything after its been destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    no response?

ReputationRep:
    hey :hugs: PM if you need to

ReputationRep:
    I can't give you all the answers you need, and I'm probably going to be a hypocrite here and tell you all the things I would hate to hear myself, but here.

I had a mental breakdown after my GCSEs. I poured my all into them, because I based my entire self worth on my grades. When people realised I actually was clever during mocks, I never wanted to let that feeling of being good enough go. In doing so, I ran myself down. Really down. Mental illness runs in my family anyway, so no one who knew that was particularly surprised when I started self harming, and eventually attempted suicide.

That was...2013.

When I started my AS Levels, I was still not recovered. I never went to class - just getting up in the morning was torture. I cried myself to sleep every night, and I was failing every class I did turn up to. Nothing I did was right. To top it all off, I ended up getting caught up in a court case to charge a man who'd sexually abused me when I was younger (I later found out, after my exams, that he had gotten away scot-free from "lack of evidence".)
    After all this, I came out to my mum and step-dad as wanting a gender change. I was lucky they were supportive, but not everyone was. And while they're supportive, they're still very....blunt in what they say. (I'm aware I'm listed as "undateable" for being transgender, but having your own family tell you that no one will want you...hurts...y'know?)

I failed my AS exams that year (I probably shouldn't have sat them full-stop, but I was adamant).

I moved colleges. I just managed to pull myself up, then I lost my volunteer job, which I adored. It was my escape. I went there and it give me something to focus on, my future. Then my mum lost her job. We had no money. She eventually attempted suicide in January of this year, and blamed me for it, said it was because she couldn't handle my issues any more.

I sat my exams. During them I fell ill, fell out with my parents and was kicked out, and my grandma died. I had another nervous breakdown. I went away for 5 weeks on a working holiday I'd poured all of my savings into, only to find it was nothing like advertised, hated the majority of it, then had to come home early because I was in a car accident. I came back to find out I didn't get the AS results I'd been hoping for: all my hours of revising, my endless work, showing up to class every single day at this new college, and all for what? To fail anyway? To have to resit a second time? Great.

And here I am, giving myself an aneurysm over uni applications. :P

--------
    TL;DR

Am I going to lie to you and say it gets better? No. Sometimes it doesn't. The above just proves that. Sometimes, you're going to overcome one problem, and wind up with 3 more. Genetically, I'm damned for mental health problems for the rest of my life, along with bone, heart, lung disease, and potential risk for diabetes and cancer. The future (healthwise) doesn't look bright for me.

But you know what? You need to keep going. For you.

You can do it. Rebuilding everything you once had is incredibly hard, I know. I went from being this perfect straight A girl to a boy who's failing the majority of his classes. How's that for a drop? But you've got to keep on. Find something you're passionate about, be it a future goal, or a person. For me, I keep going for my mum. I know if anything were to happen to me, it would be the end of her.

That, and so many people have told me "you can't do it". So many people think I don't have it in me, expect to perform in a certain way, have certain prejudices against me, and I have to prove them wrong.

Don't be ashamed to take time out if you need to. If things are too much, step back. Your health is more important than your studies. I wish I knew that earlier, because I could've saved myself a lot of damage. With all that in mind, the best thing I can say without knowing the full details of your situation would be:
    • Take some official time off, if you can. Ask if, in university, you can step out this year, and retake next year. Use the next few months to try and sort yourself out personally. You'll perform better academically when you're in a better place.
    • As I said, I don't know much about your personal situation, but if you haven't seen a psychologist/psychiatrist yet, or aren't on medication, it may be worth looking into that. Just as taking a break is nothing morally bad, you aren't a bad or broken person for taking medication. I was stubborn and didn't take them when offered, and eventually had to take them because I got so bad. Don't be me. Don't be stubborn. Look after yourself.
    • Find something you love. I know it's hard to do even things you enjoy when you're depressed and struggling just to wake up in the morning, but it is so much easier getting up for something you like than it is for something you feel indifferent about. Even if that means getting a part time job and doing a volunteering placement you like for a few years then trying university again.
    • Push yourself to do it, if you think it's something you'd enjoy. For me, I found sometimes that the majority of the battle was just getting myself to go out. Once I was out, and doing what I needed to do, I was fine. I'm still like it. I'll make plans with a friend, and the day before I will panic, and wish I hadn't volunteered, because the thought of going out is horrendous. But once I'm there? I forget it. I move on and have fun. Maybe not as much fun as I could have if I wasn't feeling so cruddy, but I feel a lot better than before I came.
    • Ask for help. If you're struggling, ask anyone you can for help. Even if it's just going and venting to your GP or one of your lecturers, or asking one of your room-mates if they could help make dinner with you, or a class-mate if they could take notes. If you're close to your family, utilise them. There is nothing bad about asking for help. And, failing all that, if you have absolutely no one else, there are plenty of helplines you can call (I'll list them below) OR you can come message me, or chat to other members on this and other forums who are glad to just listen. Sometimes just getting things off your chest can help. Not always, but sometimes. Sometimes it's just good to say "it's not fair" and rant for a bit. Because it isn't fair.
    As I said before, I can't tell you how to rebuild your life, but sometimes starting from scratch is the answer. If you are able to, take time out, and get yourself to a better place before you try and push on again. Trying to hammer information into a brain that's unwell will not work. I speak from experience.

You will get through this, I promise. And as much as I hate it when people tell me it - because sometimes, I don't want to be strong, I want things to be easy - when you come out of this, you are going to be so, so, so much stronger than the people around you. You are going to be able to handle a lot more of what life throws at you. Up until now, this is probably the worst pain and feeling you've ever known. I hope it won't ever get any worse, and if it doesn't, this is it. Everything else you'll be able to take, because you've been through harder wars before.

And if nothing else, think of all the things you have yet to experience. The places you're going to see, people you're going to meet - heck, dogs you're going to pet, if you like them! Life's barely begun, and if you can get through this and come up from the ashes, you'll be amazing.

I'm sorry if this isn't the straight-forward answer you were hoping for. And I'm sorry you're having to go through this. It's never easy, whatever the cause, whenever it happens.

And if you need them, some helplines and websites can be found here: [x]

And I'll reiterate again, if you need someone to talk to, PM me, or others on here. We're all here to help. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scitty)
    I can't give you all the answers you need, and I'm probably going to be a hypocrite here and tell you all the things I would hate to hear myself, but here.

I had a mental breakdown after my GCSEs. I poured my all into them, because I based my entire self worth on my grades. When people realised I actually was clever during mocks, I never wanted to let that feeling of being good enough go. In doing so, I ran myself down. Really down. Mental illness runs in my family anyway, so no one who knew that was particularly surprised when I started self harming, and eventually attempted suicide.

That was...2013.

When I started my AS Levels, I was still not recovered. I never went to class - just getting up in the morning was torture. I cried myself to sleep every night, and I was failing every class I did turn up to. Nothing I did was right. To top it all off, I ended up getting caught up in a court case to charge a man who'd sexually abused me when I was younger (I later found out, after my exams, that he had gotten away scot-free from "lack of evidence".)
    After all this, I came out to my mum and step-dad as wanting a gender change. I was lucky they were supportive, but not everyone was. And while they're supportive, they're still very....blunt in what they say. (I'm aware I'm listed as "undateable" for being transgender, but having your own family tell you that no one will want you...hurts...y'know?)

I failed my AS exams that year (I probably shouldn't have sat them full-stop, but I was adamant).

I moved colleges. I just managed to pull myself up, then I lost my volunteer job, which I adored. It was my escape. I went there and it give me something to focus on, my future. Then my mum lost her job. We had no money. She eventually attempted suicide in January of this year, and blamed me for it, said it was because she couldn't handle my issues any more.

I sat my exams. During them I fell ill, fell out with my parents and was kicked out, and my grandma died. I had another nervous breakdown. I went away for 5 weeks on a working holiday I'd poured all of my savings into, only to find it was nothing like advertised, hated the majority of it, then had to come home early because I was in a car accident. I came back to find out I didn't get the AS results I'd been hoping for: all my hours of revising, my endless work, showing up to class every single day at this new college, and all for what? To fail anyway? To have to resit a second time? Great.

--------
    TL;DR

Am I going to lie to you and say it gets better? No. Sometimes it doesn't. The above just proves that. Sometimes, you're going to overcome one problem, and wind up with 3 more. Genetically, I'm damned for mental health problems for the rest of my life, along with bone, heart, lung disease, and potential risk for diabetes and cancer. The future (healthwise) doesn't look bright for me.

You can do it. Rebuilding everything you once had is incredibly hard, I know. I went from being this perfect straight A girl to a boy who's failing the majority of his classes. How's that for a drop? But you've got to keep on. Find something you're passionate about, be it a future goal, or a person. For me, I keep going for my mum. I know if anything were to happen to me, it would be the end of her.

That, and so many people have told me "you can't do it". So many people think I don't have it in me, expect to perform in a certain way, have certain prejudices against me, and I have to prove them wrong.

Don't be ashamed to take time out if you need to. If things are too much, step back. Your health is more important than your studies. I wish I knew that earlier, because I could've saved myself a lot of damage. With all that in mind, the best thing I can say without knowing the full details of your situation would be:
    • Take some official time off, if you can. Ask if, in university, you can step out this year, and retake next year. Use the next few months to try and sort yourself out personally. You'll perform better academically when you're in a better place.
    • As I said, I don't know much about your personal situation, but if you haven't seen a psychologist/psychiatrist yet, or aren't on medication, it may be worth looking into that. Just as taking a break is nothing morally bad, you aren't a bad or broken person for taking medication. I was stubborn and didn't take them when offered, and eventually had to take them because I got so bad. Don't be me. Don't be stubborn. Look after yourself.
    • Find something you love. I know it's hard to do even things you enjoy when you're depressed and struggling just to wake up in the morning, but it is so much easier getting up for something you like than it is for something you feel indifferent about. Even if that means getting a part time job and doing a volunteering placement you like for a few years then trying university again.
    • Push yourself to do it, if you think it's something you'd enjoy. For me, I found sometimes that the majority of the battle was just getting myself to go out. Once I was out, and doing what I needed to do, I was fine. I'm still like it. I'll make plans with a friend, and the day before I will panic, and wish I hadn't volunteered, because the thought of going out is horrendous. But once I'm there? I forget it. I move on and have fun. Maybe not as much fun as I could have if I wasn't feeling so cruddy, but I feel a lot better than before I came.
    • Ask for help. If you're struggling, ask anyone you can for help. Even if it's just going and venting to your GP or one of your lecturers, or asking one of your room-mates if they could help make dinner with you, or a class-mate if they could take notes. If you're close to your family, utilise them. There is nothing bad about asking for help. And, failing all that, if you have absolutely no one else, there are plenty of helplines you can call (I'll list them below) OR you can come message me, or chat to other members on this and other forums who are glad to just listen. Sometimes just getting things off your chest can help. Not always, but sometimes. Sometimes it's just good to say "it's not fair" and rant for a bit. Because it isn't fair.
    As I said before, I can't tell you how to rebuild your life, but sometimes starting from scratch is the answer. If you are able to, take time out, and get yourself to a better place before you try and push on again. Trying to hammer information into a brain that's unwell will not work. I speak from experience.

You will get through this, I promise. And as much as I hate it when people tell me it - because sometimes, I don't want to be strong, I want things to be easy - when you come out of this, you are going to be so, so, so much stronger than the people around you. You are going to be able to handle a lot more of what life throws at you. Up until now, this is probably the worst pain and feeling you've ever known. I hope it won't ever get any worse, and if it doesn't, this is it. Everything else you'll be able to take, because you've been through harder wars before.

And if nothing else, think of all the things you have yet to experience. The places you're going to see, people you're going to meet - heck, dogs you're going to pet, if you like them! Life's barely begun, and if you can get through this and come up from the ashes, you'll be amazing.

I'm sorry if this isn't the straight-forward answer you were hoping for. And I'm sorry you're having to go through this. It's never easy, whatever the cause, whenever it happens.

And I'll reiterate again, if you need someone to talk to, PM me, or others on here. We're all here to help. :hugs:
    i'm not even sure how I can repay you for ur amazing post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scitty)

That was...2013.

--------
    TL;DR

This is the best flipping post I've ever read on these forums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scitty)
    i can't give you all the answers you need, and i'm probably going to be a hypocrite here and tell you all the things i would hate to hear myself, but here.

I had a mental breakdown after my gcses. I poured my all into them, because i based my entire self worth on my grades. When people realised i actually was clever during mocks, i never wanted to let that feeling of being good enough go. In doing so, i ran myself down. Really down. Mental illness runs in my family anyway, so no one who knew that was particularly surprised when i started self harming, and eventually attempted suicide.

That was...2013.

When i started my as levels, i was still not recovered. I never went to class - just getting up in the morning was torture. I cried myself to sleep every night, and i was failing every class i did turn up to. Nothing i did was right. To top it all off, i ended up getting caught up in a court case to charge a man who'd sexually abused me when i was younger (i later found out, after my exams, that he had gotten away scot-free from "lack of evidence".)
    after all this, i came out to my mum and step-dad as wanting a gender change. I was lucky they were supportive, but not everyone was. And while they're supportive, they're still very....blunt in what they say. (i'm aware i'm listed as "undateable" for being transgender, but having your own family tell you that no one will want you...hurts...y'know?)

i failed my as exams that year (i probably shouldn't have sat them full-stop, but i was adamant).

I moved colleges. I just managed to pull myself up, then i lost my volunteer job, which i adored. It was my escape. I went there and it give me something to focus on, my future. Then my mum lost her job. We had no money. She eventually attempted suicide in january of this year, and blamed me for it, said it was because she couldn't handle my issues any more.

I sat my exams. During them i fell ill, fell out with my parents and was kicked out, and my grandma died. I had another nervous breakdown. I went away for 5 weeks on a working holiday i'd poured all of my savings into, only to find it was nothing like advertised, hated the majority of it, then had to come home early because i was in a car accident. I came back to find out i didn't get the as results i'd been hoping for: All my hours of revising, my endless work, showing up to class every single day at this new college, and all for what? To fail anyway? To have to resit a second time? Great.

And here i am, giving myself an aneurysm over uni applications.

--------
    tl;dr

am i going to lie to you and say it gets better? No. Sometimes it doesn't. The above just proves that. Sometimes, you're going to overcome one problem, and wind up with 3 more. Genetically, i'm damned for mental health problems for the rest of my life, along with bone, heart, lung disease, and potential risk for diabetes and cancer. The future (healthwise) doesn't look bright for me.

But you know what? you need to keep going. For you.

you can do it. Rebuilding everything you once had is incredibly hard, i know. I went from being this perfect straight a girl to a boy who's failing the majority of his classes. How's that for a drop? but you've got to keep on. Find something you're passionate about, be it a future goal, or a person. For me, i keep going for my mum. I know if anything were to happen to me, it would be the end of her.

That, and so many people have told me "you can't do it". So many people think i don't have it in me, expect to perform in a certain way, have certain prejudices against me, and i have to prove them wrong.

don't be ashamed to take time out if you need to. If things are too much, step back. your health is more important than your studies. I wish i knew that earlier, because i could've saved myself a lot of damage. With all that in mind, the best thing i can say without knowing the full details of your situation would be:
    • take some official time off, if you can. Ask if, in university, you can step out this year, and retake next year. Use the next few months to try and sort yourself out personally. You'll perform better academically when you're in a better place.
    • as i said, i don't know much about your personal situation, but if you haven't seen a psychologist/psychiatrist yet, or aren't on medication, it may be worth looking into that. Just as taking a break is nothing morally bad, you aren't a bad or broken person for taking medication. I was stubborn and didn't take them when offered, and eventually had to take them because i got so bad. Don't be me. Don't be stubborn. look after yourself.
    • find something you love. i know it's hard to do even things you enjoy when you're depressed and struggling just to wake up in the morning, but it is so much easier getting up for something you like than it is for something you feel indifferent about. Even if that means getting a part time job and doing a volunteering placement you like for a few years then trying university again.
    • push yourself to do it, if you think it's something you'd enjoy. for me, i found sometimes that the majority of the battle was just getting myself to go out. Once i was out, and doing what i needed to do, i was fine. I'm still like it. I'll make plans with a friend, and the day before i will panic, and wish i hadn't volunteered, because the thought of going out is horrendous. But once i'm there? I forget it. I move on and have fun. Maybe not as much fun as i could have if i wasn't feeling so cruddy, but i feel a lot better than before i came.
    • ask for help. if you're struggling, ask anyone you can for help. Even if it's just going and venting to your gp or one of your lecturers, or asking one of your room-mates if they could help make dinner with you, or a class-mate if they could take notes. If you're close to your family, utilise them. There is nothing bad about asking for help. And, failing all that, if you have absolutely no one else, there are plenty of helplines you can call (i'll list them below) or you can come message me, or chat to other members on this and other forums who are glad to just listen. Sometimes just getting things off your chest can help. Not always, but sometimes. Sometimes it's just good to say "it's not fair" and rant for a bit. Because it isn't fair.
    as i said before, i can't tell you how to rebuild your life, but sometimes starting from scratch is the answer. If you are able to, take time out, and get yourself to a better place before you try and push on again. Trying to hammer information into a brain that's unwell will not work. I speak from experience.

you will get through this, i promise. And as much as i hate it when people tell me it - because sometimes, i don't want to be strong, i want things to be easy - when you come out of this, you are going to be so, so, so much stronger than the people around you. You are going to be able to handle a lot more of what life throws at you. Up until now, this is probably the worst pain and feeling you've ever known. I hope it won't ever get any worse, and if it doesn't, this is it. Everything else you'll be able to take, because you've been through harder wars before.

I'm sorry if this isn't the straight-forward answer you were hoping for. and i'm sorry you're having to go through this. It's never easy, whatever the cause, whenever it happens.

and i'll reiterate again, if you need someone to talk to, pm me, or others on here. We're all here to help. :hugs:
    you are the best omggggggg

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.