Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi long-time lurker; first post

im a 17yr old girl who's been feeling 'sad' for about 4 years on and off now. usually im able to pick myself up after a few weeks but this time i can hardly even wake up in the morning without crying myself back to sleep can anyone please give me tips on how to just be happier and more lively. i also started uni 2 months ago and i was so exited because i figured it would be a fresh start because i was bullied relentlessly during school but i feel so lost and havent made any friends:/ sorry for my bad english, i am french. but just any tips on how to make friends and just feel happier would be nice thx

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you feel this way because you seem like a really nice person. Like you I have also been bullied at school so I know how you must feel. I think perhaps you should observe people that you would possibly want to be friends with and see how treat their friends and other people. If they seem like a nice person then I think you should go up to them and start making conversation (using some info that you may have already picked up from observing them) for example if they love music ask them if they've listened X's latest song etc. If they give you looks or make it clear they don't want to talk to you then just move on, they're clearly not worth your attention. I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=martinique1998;60375463]hi long-time lurker; first post

Hey! I'm honestly sorry to hear that. Let me start off by telling you that you're not alone. I myself have been feeling down for about 3 years- everything seems to be going much slower and you somehow find it really difficult to enjoy the things you use to, am I right? I am in uni as well and I'm not enjoying it one bit but at the end of the day, I have to remember that I must succeed and doing well in uni will help me get a high paying career in the future. remember there are people who care for you so don;t be shy to talk to them- f*** those bullies. Bullies are the scum of society and let me tell you this, most of these bullies will either become a young single mother or leave school with 3 GCSEs and an STD.

I suggest that in the end of each day, get a notebook and write a list of things that went well that day. It will help you think more positively. Also, I found that partaking in physical activities help me get my mind off things- I lift weights but I think you should take up yoga as it is known to reduce stress and improve your mental health.

Thank you for reading all of this and I wish you all the best! BTW that was great English

ReputationRep:
    thank you both
    i was so nervous but i cold approached someone and just began talking to her and we ended up eating lunch together; its a start lol
    thank you both so much, i think i just need to start being more positive and happy, being sad hasn't gotten me anywhere and uni is a fresh start
    thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinique1998)
    thank you both
    i was so nervous but i cold approached someone and just began talking to her and we ended up eating lunch together; its a start lol
    thank you both so much, i think i just need to start being more positive and happy, being sad hasn't gotten me anywhere and uni is a fresh start
    thanks again
    You're most welcome! I am so happy for you Remember it's not healthy to bottle all in so talk to those who you are close with. I wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    thank you you too ( you mentioned you were depressed too )
    thx both of you

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, you're not alone and sympathise massively with how you feel, it's a horrible feeling.

Just try and focus on the positives (is hard as f**k), sign up to some societies/new activities to keep you busy, I go to the gym and recently signed up to learn Spanish we'll see how that goes seeing as a got a D in it at GCSE lol (didn;t really interest me at the time).

Good luck and all the best .

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    idk i felt so alone but now i realise that a lot of people are struggling but just put on a brave face day to day!
    thank you all for answering and helping and i wish you all the best as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinique1998)
    thank you
    idk i felt so alone but now i realise that a lot of people are struggling but just put on a brave face day to day!
    thank you all for answering and helping and i wish you all the best as well
    That's right! Some people may be just as nervous as you ! It's ok, you'll meet people & make friends! And yeah, just try to think of something positive to get you through!

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.