Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to choose my A levels soon and I am hoping to study medicine at a good uni. I am thinking of doing Business Studies, Politics, Biology and Chemistry. I have a few questions:

Would I be better off doing maths or economics instead of business?

Are A level Chemistry and Biology a big step up from GCSE did you find them challenging?

What sort of AS grades will I need to get?

Do a lot of people do terribly in the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom6)
    Yes.
    (Original post by Tom6)
    Are A level Chemistry and Biology a big step up from GCSE ?
    Yes.
    (Original post by Tom6)
    If you take AS levels, then you'll probably need at least aaab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom6)
    I have to choose my A levels soon and I am hoping to study medicine at a good uni. I am thinking of doing Business Studies, Politics, Biology and Chemistry. I have a few questions:

Are A level Chemistry and Biology a big step up from GCSE did you find them challenging?

Do a lot of people do terribly in the UKCAT?
    I'd say yes but I'm not exactly sure

AS Grades
    ABBB minimum I guess to have a chance of getting an interview
    I say this because I know a lot of people below this with excellent GCSEs who haven't even been interviewed but rejected because of the competitiveness.

UKCAT
    Tbh, it's all on good practice and luck
    I don't know whether a lot of people do good or bad but a lot of people I know have achieved UkCAT scores (this year) above average and it's all down to good practice and using good resources.

I think Biology definitely was because at GcSE it was sort of regurgitating the knowledge but at AS you really have to apply it.
    For chemsitry, I found there really was no jump. There are new things we had to learn but I guess for me personally,'it wasn't that difficult. Just to let you know, there is quite a bit of maths involved.

Good luck
    I hope you find this useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.