Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ... before starting university?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just how challenging, time-consuming and stressful a Maths degree at Imperial would be Despite things turning out rather well (I got a 1st), I had a lot less free time than I thought I would.

My message to future maths/science undergrads is this:

Uni life isn't just a party. You have to be prepared to work very hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Just how challenging, time-consuming and stressful a Maths degree at Imperial would be Despite things turning out rather well (I got a 1st), I had a lot less free time than I thought I would.

My message to future maths/science undergrads is this:

Uni life isn't just a party. You have to be prepared to work very hard!
    Whoa a first :eek: in maths :eek4: from imperial! :eek3: was it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    To take sleeping tablets because insomnia is gonna hit you very badly !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eoe)
    To take sleeping tablets because insomnia is gonna hit you very badly !
    oh god i already have sleeping problems - thought that would clear up in uni
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by z33)
    Whoa a first :eek: in maths :eek4: from imperial! :eek3: was it worth it?
    Most definitely! Imperial has a certain reputation which helped when it came to thinking about life after uni. Other than that it was a nice challenge, and I got to meet some awesome people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    oh god i already have sleeping problems - thought that would clear up in uni
    Oh, dear. Sleeping problems do not clear up at uni at all. Especially when you have varying class times e.g. 9ams one day, 2pms the next, 5pms another day, etc. Really messes with your body clock!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Most definitely! Imperial has a certain reputation which helped when it came to thinking about life after uni. Other than that it was a nice challenge, and I got to meet some awesome people!
    yeah it does! going to the open day was like "omg... am i really in THE Imperial?" haha but i stand no chance of getting in for anything there! they don't offer pharmacy either but even if they did I'd never get in - maybe postgraduate studies

that's awesome though i'm glad you had a good time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    Oh, dear. Sleeping problems do not clear up at uni at all. Especially when you have varying class times e.g. 9ams one day, 2pms the next, 5pms another day, etc. Really messes with your body clock!
    oh gosh that does sound tiring - probably gonna end up waking up at 6 every day (fun)

this is why i need to live in the halls and get a roommate to wake me up hahaha

will stock up on the sleeping tablets when i get there then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    oh gosh that does sound tiring - probably gonna end up waking up at 6 every day (fun)

this is why i need to live in the halls and get a roommate to wake me up hahaha

will stock up on the sleeping tablets when i get there then
    Haha, I find it helps not living on campus. I live off-campus now and I was always tempted to take massive naps in between classes just because they were a 2 minute walk from my flat! Now I actually have to get up early, get the bus, pack a lunch, etc.
    Don't rely on sleeping pills and stuff - I hope your sleep schedule sorts itself out the healthy way! Au naturale!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    Haha, I find it helps not living on campus. I live off-campus now and I was always tempted to take massive naps in between classes just because they were a 2 minute walk from my flat! Now I actually have to get up early, get the bus, pack a lunch, etc.
    Don't rely on sleeping pills and stuff - I hope your sleep schedule sorts itself out the healthy way! Au naturale!
    Oh yes that's a good point and a trap I'd definitely fall into! Haha thanks i hope so too - but for nights when my brain won't quiet down I'll have them ready !

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd known in advance that I'd make friends in the second year. I loved being at uni, but the first year was pretty lonely for me. All good in the second and third years though. It makes me sad to see people on TSR thinking about dropping out in the first term because they haven't made any particular friends yet.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd known what an insane step up from A Level it would be. I know unis vary, but for me the step up between A levels and university is vast and the quantity of work has absolutely skyrocketed, which was not what I was told would happen before university started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I wish I'd known in advance that I'd make friends in the second year. I loved being at uni, but the first year was pretty lonely for me. All good in the second and third years though. It makes me sad to see people on TSR thinking about dropping out in the first term because they haven't made any particular friends yet.
    Awhhhh well hey here's proof that eventually friends will be made I'm glad you found your people

I do a subject at another school and i don't talk to anyone there so i guess that gives me a taste - not a good feeling plus I'm an awkward person but oh well, I just bring a book or play on my phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skitee)
    I wish I'd known what an insane step up from A Level it would be. I know unis vary, but for me the step up between A levels and university is vast and the quantity of work has absolutely skyrocketed, which was not what I was told would happen before university started.
    Oh wow! may i know what uni/course? that's crazy though because we were told uni is much more different to A-level - like we get more difficult work obv but it'll be less and more managable...

whoa gotta get in the mindset then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Oh wow! may i know what uni/course? that's crazy though because we were told uni is much more different to A-level - like we get more difficult work obv but it'll be less and more managable...

whoa gotta get in the mindset then
    Maths at Oxford... Other courses may be different - it's worth seeing ahead what the students in upper years say about the workload, it'll vary for each course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skitee)
    Maths at Oxford... Other courses may be different - it's worth seeing ahead what the students in upper years say about the workload, it'll vary for each course
    whoaaa well done first of all! and second yeah will definitely ask students on an open day or something thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I realised the importance of first year even though it doesn't count towards anything (I'm going to do a placement year in my 3rd year and the employers value good first year results). Also wish I knew how to cook. But this was not so bad since I have asian parents that insisted each week on cooking me enough curry to last a week, lol.

ReputationRep:
    You will get narclopsy (fall asleep in the day at the most in opportune moments) and there will be one or two units you loathe oh and help is always there if you can get over your self and actually ask for it.

ReputationRep:
    Try to avoid petty arguments with my house mates.

arguing over dishes, who's taking the bins out, who's inconsiderate was so pointlessly stressing and awkward.

it happens, and will always happen in communal living, but I wish I knew how to deal with it better before I went to University.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.