The Student Room Group

I feel... weird

I feel like I've been drugged or something - for months
dizzy, headaches, tired, achey
i feel like a 70 year old dude

but i'm a 17 year old girl

i've got work to do and i can't do it - I get drowsy/sleepy at around 5pm (4pm since the clocks went back) and all day during school i feel like i could sleep at any second if you told me to. I also feel like i cannot get up. Like i PHYSICALLY cannot get up - like i feel paralysed, I try to move and get up but nothing happens until like 10/15 minutes later.

could it be the emotional mess my parents' daily fights made of me? could it be the pressure from school and exams and **** like that? is it my diet (recently dropped junk food (well - i have it one day a week) and started eating more fruit, having breakfast, drinking more water but only around 2 weeks ago - no change yet)...

what could it be?

halp?
go see a doctor, maybe you're anaemic? the symptoms for iron-deficiency anaemia include dizziness, headaches, pale skin, trouble concentrating etc.
i take iron tablets for iron-deficiency anaemia and they have helped a lot! i used to feel sooo tired everyday, and felt like i had no energy in me at all, but as soon as i started taking iron tablets i felt a huge difference. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by booyahkasha
go see a doctor, maybe you're anaemic? the symptoms for iron-deficiency anaemia include dizziness, headaches, pale skin, trouble concentrating etc.
i take iron tablets for iron-deficiency anaemia and they have helped a lot! i used to feel sooo tired everyday, and felt like i had no energy in me at all, but as soon as i started taking iron tablets i felt a huge difference. :smile:

okay thank you i'll try to see a GP soon! they'd need to take a blood test right? hmmm i need to find a way to hide these scars then but thanks you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like I've been drugged or something - for months
dizzy, headaches, tired, achey
i feel like a 70 year old dude

but i'm a 17 year old girl

i've got work to do and i can't do it - I get drowsy/sleepy at around 5pm (4pm since the clocks went back) and all day during school i feel like i could sleep at any second if you told me to. I also feel like i cannot get up. Like i PHYSICALLY cannot get up - like i feel paralysed, I try to move and get up but nothing happens until like 10/15 minutes later.

could it be the emotional mess my parents' daily fights made of me? could it be the pressure from school and exams and **** like that? is it my diet (recently dropped junk food (well - i have it one day a week) and started eating more fruit, having breakfast, drinking more water but only around 2 weeks ago - no change yet)...

what could it be?

halp?

Tbh it could be all of those things yeah I'd say see your GP and get them to run bloods to see if anythings a bit off but otherwise I know that's exactly how I have felt passed few months some of my symptoms were so strong that I was pretty scared but I have been having CBT and whilst they're not gone it has helped me see how some of them are attached to/triggered by emotions/psychological stress. If nothing comes up in bloods I suggest you get your GP to refer you for some counselling and/or CBT.

And while you're waiting for an appointment just try to stay away from your parents and their arguing (I know easier said than done). But when things kick off call a friend or come on here and have a good purge in the Mental Health Support Thread or if you feel comfortable call a mental health support line like Samaritans and just talk your little heart out :smile:

Maybe with all the stress and stuff treat yourself as well don't just torture yourself with diets etc, healthy eating is definitely important but you have to bare in mind that at a time of stress when there's a lot going on trying a new diet is just an added one and you might end up just even more stressed. So everything in moderation and be kind to yourself and meet up with people who care about you, friends/family etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Little Popcorns
Tbh it could be all of those things yeah I'd say see your GP and get them to run bloods to see if anythings a bit off but otherwise I know that's exactly how I have felt passed few months some of my symptoms were so strong that I was pretty scared but I have been having CBT and whilst they're not gone it has helped me see how some of them are attached to/triggered by emotions/psychological stress. If nothing comes up in bloods I suggest you get your GP to refer you for some counselling and/or CBT.

And while you're waiting for an appointment just try to stay away from your parents and their arguing (I know easier said than done). But when things kick off call a friend or come on here and have a good purge in the Mental Health Support Thread or if you feel comfortable call a mental health support line like Samaritans and just talk your little heart out :smile:

Maybe with all the stress and stuff treat yourself as well don't just torture yourself with diets etc, healthy eating is definitely important but you have to bare in mind that at a time of stress when there's a lot going on trying a new diet is just an added one and you might end up just even more stressed. So everything in moderation and be kind to yourself and meet up with people who care about you, friends/family etc.

Awh thanks for the detailed response! Thanks for sharing your story, I'll definitely try the blood tests and if nothing comes up I'll ask about therapy :smile:

Yeah I do try to stay away but usually it's them who drag me in the middle :redface: pretending to be asleep works most of the time (if they don't wake me up and drag me down) but I'll find a way i guess. Thanks for the suggestions, I've been talking to ChildLine on chat and stuff but it makes me feel stupid because it's for children and idk... i just feel really small using it so i don't like it - I'll try the samaritans cos that's for older people and confidentiality is stricter but idk if they have a chat service.

Yeah maybe i should give the diet a pause... thank you for the help though I'll try to take it easy :smile: I've been going to school on Saturdays and staying late just to be away from it all which helps but it's starting to get dark real fast and scary so I have to find some other way soon.

Thank you :smile:!
Awh thanks for the detailed response! Thanks for sharing your story, I'll definitely try the blood tests and if nothing comes up I'll ask about therapy :smile:

Yeah I do try to stay away but usually it's them who drag me in the middle :redface: pretending to be asleep works most of the time (if they don't wake me up and drag me down) but I'll find a way i guess. Thanks for the suggestions, I've been talking to ChildLine on chat and stuff but it makes me feel stupid because it's for children and idk... i just feel really small using it so i don't like it - I'll try the samaritans cos that's for older people and confidentiality is stricter but idk if they have a chat service.

Yeah maybe i should give the diet a pause... thank you for the help though I'll try to take it easy :smile: I've been going to school on Saturdays and staying late just to be away from it all which helps but it's starting to get dark real fast and scary so I have to find some other way soon.

Thank you :smile:!

Aw glad it helped a bit :smile:

The pretending to be asleep thing sounds like it works so yeah try to employ that when you can. You can try using both Child Line and Samaritans and then as time goes on move away from Child Line. But you are still technically a child so don't worry about it.

Yeah maybe a friends house instead or something where their parents might give you a lift home or something?

You're welcome :hugs:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Aw glad it helped a bit :smile:

The pretending to be asleep thing sounds like it works so yeah try to employ that when you can. You can try using both Child Line and Samaritan and then as time goes on move away from Child Line. But you are still technically a child so don't worry about it.

Yeah maybe a friends house instead or something where their parents might give you a lift home or something?

You're welcome :hugs:

Yeah it helped thanks :smile:

I'll try to keep doing that yeah - and i'll do the parallel thing with childline and samaritan thing - hopefully i'll like it :tongue:
i guess i still count as a child - idk what my parents think i am though

yeahhh parents have basically locked me up for 17 years - haven't been to any of my friends' houses, can't go out with them, can't text/ call them, my life has been to school and back (which is why i'm taking a gap year since i have literally nothing to put on my personal statement...)

Oh well - uni is almost there and i can escape - problem is the state i'm in right now isn't gonna help me get there... probably will get straight Us if it carries on and it's already November! Hell i'm booking that appointment tomorrow i need dem iron tablets.

but yeah thanks for the help :redface: :hugs:
Yeah it helped thanks :smile:

I'll try to keep doing that yeah - and i'll do the parallel thing with childline and samaritan thing - hopefully i'll like it :tongue:
i guess i still count as a child - idk what my parents think i am though

yeahhh parents have basically locked me up for 17 years - haven't been to any of my friends' houses, can't go out with them, can't text/ call them, my life has been to school and back (which is why i'm taking a gap year since i have literally nothing to put on my personal statement...)

Oh well - uni is almost there and i can escape - problem is the state i'm in right now isn't gonna help me get there... probably will get straight Us if it carries on and it's already November! Hell i'm booking that appointment tomorrow i need dem iron tablets.

but yeah thanks for the help :redface: :hugs:

Yeah they have a thing where
you can email them with Samaritans.

Ah that's tough. I presume you have friends at college though? Give them a call and stuff when you need to chat and your parents will just have to accept that you are growing up so maybe arrange to go round to friends and stuff.

Aw well the best thing you can do at the moment is just stay as stress free as possible and focus on your exams. You can only do your best under the circumstances so don't beat yourself up there are ways around these things if you don't get the grades you were hoping for. Haha yep hope you get the iron tablets :h:

No worries best of luck.
Reply 8
Yeah they have a thing where
you can email them with Samaritans.

Ah that's tough. I presume you have friends at college though? Give them a call and stuff when you need to chat and your parents will just have to accept that you are growing up so maybe arrange to go round to friends and stuff.

Aw well the best thing you can do at the moment is just stay as stress free as possible and focus on your exams. You can only do your best under the circumstances so don't beat yourself up there are ways around these things if you don't get the grades you were hoping for. Haha yep hope you get the iron tablets :h:

No worries best of luck.

Yeahh i'll sneak out or something :tongue:

i'll try to not stress myself out and maybe have a few backup plans cos planning makes me feel better :biggrin:

I've made an appointment for Friday!

Thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest