Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, its my first time on this forum so ill just cut to the chase
    Currenty I'm in s5 ( grade 11) and I'm very enthusiastic on studying medicine after high school. Unfortunately my chemistry level is terrible ( a C grade) this is because I've moved to a different country for the past 4 years ( and have been a straight A student) but having moved back to Scotland my grades have hit rock bottom ( well just chemistry and maybe maths) this has really been upsetting me knowing most medical schools only take in A students. Can someone give me advice on what to do please?
    Note the subjects am studying are Higher Chemistry, Biology, Geography, and English. Also doing National 5 maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali.R99)
    Currenty I'm in s5 ( grade 11) and I'm very enthusiastic on studying medicine after high school. Unfortunately my chemistry level is terrible ( a C grade) this is because I've moved to a different country for the past 4 years ( and have been a straight A student) but having moved back to Scotland my grades have hit rock bottom ( well just chemistry and maybe maths) this has really been upsetting me knowing most medical schools only take in A students. Can someone give me advice on what to do please?
    Note the subjects am studying are Higher Chemistry, Biology, Geography, and English. Also doing National 5 maths.

I'm guessing grade 11 is equivalent to year 12/13 in the rest of the UK (If it's GCSE then don't worry too much, providing you get mainly A*-A in your GCSEs most schools will be okay with that). When it comes to situations like these it can be possible to apply for extenuating circumstances. If you can provide evidence that an event in your life cause dramatic upset to your studies and in turn to your grades some schools will make special exceptions. My advice would be to ring EVER medical school in the country, explain your situation and ask what their advice would be based on their policies. I know it seems like a lot but it's what I did and while many people told me my application was hopeless, I have now been able to apply to 4 schools that I love. Please bear in mind however that each school will have a different policy and different idea of what extenuating circumstances class as so while one school my approve an application from you, another school may reject it. I wish you the best in your application.

ReputationRep:
    It's not all over! But, you have work super hard this year and at least have to get four A's in your highers. Then, get a A/B in maths.

But, you'll have to do higher maths next year since it looks better. I know, most medical applicants will have five A's by sixth year. But, don't let that get you down.

Just do the above and then do your advanced highers and higher maths in sixth year, get a good written personal statement (LOTS OF WORK EXPERIENCE) I cannot stress this than more. Then, do good in the entry exam (sorry I can't remember the name) and the interview.

You'll surely then get a condition for unis to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    im also in s5, and doing higher english, geography, history, business management and biology. Firstly, dont worry about national 5 maths just now. Last year I went from a d to an A, so trust me you can greatly improve on it as the year goes on.
    Secondaly, I'm doing higher biology without any nat 5 level experience, and although I was hopeless at the beginning, I have massively improved and I am getting really good grades. So again, its still only november, so dont worry if your struggling now, as the year goes on youll get better and by the time may comes, youll be an expert

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.