The Student Room Group

Chemistry help

Evaluate the different social impacts of using polymers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lcpx
Evaluate the different social of using polymers.

Different social uses do you mean?
Ask the question again properly
Reply 3
Original post by MrKmas508
Ask the question again properly

I have edited it
Reply 4
Social impacts
Original post by lcpx
Social impacts

Okay, is this a GCSE or A-Level question?
Reply 6
GCSE
Original post by lcpx
GCSE

Okay, when something says evaluate it means you need to talk about both the positives and negatives of something. How many marks is it worth?
Reply 8
6 marks
Original post by lcpx
6 marks

Okay so they probably expect you to mention three positive points and three negative points. Can you think of three positive societal impacts of polymers and three negative societal impacts of polymers?
Reply 10
No, this is why I am confused. I don't really get how polymers have social impacts.
Original post by lcpx
No, this is why I am confused. I don't really get how polymers have social impacts.

Right, well I can think of a few off the top of my head:

1) Plastics. Think of how versatile and widely used plastics are. We rely on them for so much yet they are made out of a very limited resource.

2) Maybe talk about the likes of Kevlar? How it used in tyres and in bulletproof vests? How many lives it has saved?

3) It's been a while since I've done GCSE Chemistry but do you get taught anything on how plastics and polymers can badly effect society and the environment?

Just take a few minutes to brainstorm and then try and talk about the positive and negative impacts of polymers
Reply 12
Thank you so much!
Polymers can be bad because most of them aren't biodegradable therefore they usually end up in landfill which is both unsightly and bad for the environment. Also if you burn polymers toxic fumes could be made which is poisonous and can cause long term health problems.

Quick Reply

Latest