Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

V875 - Prohibition of Public Intoxication Bill 2015 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    8.33%
    On the contrary, No
    87.50%
    Abstain
    4.17%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    V875 - Prohibition of Public Intoxication Bill 2015, The Rt. Hon. Unown Uzer MP

Prohibition of Public Intoxication Bill 2015
    A Bill to redefine intoxication, and to enact stricter punishments for public intoxication.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1) Definitions
    1. 'Intoxication' in this bill refers to the consumption of alcohol or use of other drugs, or a combination of both alcohol and drugs by an individual, to an extent where the individual has over 170 milligrams of alcohol for every 100 millilitres of blood, over 80 micrograms of alcohol for every 100 millilitres of breath, or over 220 milligrams of alcohol for every 100 millilitres of urine, or under the influence of other drugs to an extent that the individual's normal capacity to act or reason is inhibited by that drug.
    2. 'Voluntary intoxication' refers to voluntary or 'self-induced' intoxication by an individual, and where the individual is affected by alcohol or another drug at no (or no significant) fault of his or her own. Examples of involuntary intoxication include: when an individual's food or drink is 'laced' by a third party, and the said individual consumes the 'laced' food or drink, or when the individual has been forced to take a drug against his or her will.
    3. ‘Public place' in this bill includes any premises or place to which the public have or are permitted to have access at the material time, whether on payment or otherwise.

2) Violation and enforcement
    1. It is an offence to be voluntarily intoxicated in a public place, as defined in the definitions of this bill.
    2. It is an offence to enter or be in any mode of transport whilst voluntarily intoxicated.
    3. The police may stop any individual in public or mode of transport who they deem to be intoxicated under the definitions within this bill, and may perform a breathalyser test on the individual. Should the individual meet any requirements of intoxication as defined in this bill, the individual may be arrested and charged on 'suspicion of public intoxication'. The individual may then be taken to a police station for further testing and be detained. The individual may not be released on bail until he or she does not meet any requirement for intoxication.

3) Punishment
    1. An individual who has been arrested for 'public intoxication' will need to appear in court for trial, and may be found guilty if it is determined by the judge that the individual has been voluntarily intoxicated in a public place.
    2. Should an individual be found guilty of 'voluntary public intoxication', he or she will be fined not less than £500, and the punishment will be decided based on the severity of the intoxication.

4) Commencement and Extent
    1. This Act will extend to England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
    2. This Act shall come into effect 30 days after being passed in Parliament.

Notes:
    At the moment, the police may only get involved if an individual is so drunk they are unable to act in a manner that is reasonable, such as passing out on the street. After being held in a police station cell until sober, the individual may be cautioned, issued a Penalty Notice for Disorder (with £80 fine in ticket form), or bailed to appear at the local court.

This bill introduces a clearer definition for intoxication, and gives police the right to arrest individuals for 'public intoxication'. This bill also raises the fine for public intoxication.

This bill will create a safer environment, and make it more comfortable for people to go about their own business without being harassed or assaulted by an intoxicated person behaving in a lewd manner. This bill may also increase the UK’s productivity, as it can reduce the number of intoxicated individuals who enter train tracks and cause severe delays to trains, which can cost train companies millions of pounds.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The best Nay I've ever handed a bill, ever!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This seriously got sent to division...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What a waste of parliamentary time this garbage is. Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    This seriously got sent to division...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My thoughts exactly

ReputationRep:
    Nay. This bill displays a distinct lack of recognition on the part of its author that this is not the late 19th century.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Was almost tempted to give it an aye out of sympathy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here's to responsive drinking in public! *burp*

Cheers. :cheers:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    bun I am ashamed and appalled.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    bun
    please tell me that was an accident...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    bun WTF?

ReputationRep:
    Cannot support this, at all.

As this concludes this evening's voting, I think a trip to the MHoC bar is in order. Could do with getting paralytic.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If this bill were in effect I would be unable to vote as I would still be stuck in the bar :cheers:

ReputationRep:
    Could this end up being the most bipartisan vote we ever have
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Are you ****ing kidding me? It's a fecking nay from me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Airmed)
    You've given it an Aye though

ReputationRep:
    (bad copy and paste but still)
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    Vote:Airmd,bun
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    You've given it an Aye though
    Ah beaten to it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Ah beaten to it
    I got there last

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.