Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B880 - NHS Operation Funding Bill 2015, The Hon. Hazzer1998 MP
    NHS Operation Funding Bill 2015

An Act to Limit the certain types of operations available on the National Health Service

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1) Definitions
    (1) " Operations " In this act shall refer to an act of surgery on a patient
    (2) " Funding" In this act shall refer to money provided especially by an organisation or Government for a certain purpose
    (3)"life style choice operations" in this act shall refer to Non essential , Voluntary, Non urgent operations that the individual has chosen to have
    (4)"Essential" In this act shall refer to an operations that is preformed on a elective or emergency basics
    (5)"non essential" shall refer an operations that is not nessercly and is a personal choice by the individual

2) Funding for Operations

(1) Operations deemed to be relating to lifestyle choices shall no longer be provided by the NHS except in exceptional circumstances
    (2) The funding saved from no longer providing these services will remain available within the NHS budget.

3) Commencements , extent and short title
    (1) This Act may be cited as the NHS Operation Funding Bill 2015
    (2) This Act comes into force on the 1st of January 2016

Spoiler: show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The NHS was set up to protect the health and well-being of the British Public but should not spend obscene amounts of money on non-essential procedures whist people with actual health issues suffer . the NHS should be a " Safety net " for the United Kingdom that concentrates of individuals that have essential health issues

Therefore funding for " life style choices " operations will stop and will no longer be available on the NHS . The " Life style choices " operations are

- Sex Change operations
    - Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
    - IVF Fertility Treatment
    - All Operations of a Religious nature
    - Bariatic operations
    - Cosmetic Surgery

Baritaic operations

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...s_surgery.html

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing ( my notes for this bill - cannot upload the graphs needed so ive put t into a google doc )

" There were large differences between specialties in the proportion of the total specialty workload made up of non elective cases " - http://www.ncepod.org.uk/pdf/2003/03_s07.pdf
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Birchington please can the spoiler be fixed please , thank you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay because you included IVF
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    hazzer1998

I feel as if the operations should be included in the bill.

I also feel that IVF should definitely be funded by the NHS and some of the others I'm not 100% sure on.

It's a Nay, but it's good to see you having a crack at a bill

ReputationRep:
    This would ban abortion, which is a serious infringement on women's rights, so nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Nay because you included IVF
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    hazzer1998

I feel as if the operations should be included in the bill.

I also feel that IVF should definitely be funded by the NHS and some of the others I'm not 100% sure on.

It's a Nay, but it's good to see you having a crack at a bill
    Why should the taxpayer fund IVF?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All members of society should be given the opportunity to become parents should they desire to be.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why shouldn't they? Some people are lucky enough to be fertile, others aren't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If This Bill went to Second Reading , I May make amendments regarding IVF
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sex changes for me are the big doubt hanging over this bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    All members of society should be given the opportunity to become parents should they desire to be.
    ???

So if some men are short and have small dicks, we should pay for their enlargement surgeries because they were ‘unlucky’? Having a child isn't a basic human right. Why should they? Arguments rather than opinions would be splendid.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    If This Bill went to Second Reading , I May make amendments regarding IVF
    IVF is the tip of the iceberg for me regarding this bill. I believe that sex changes should also be under the NHS, as well as some forms of cosmetic surgery.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Let's say someone kicks you really hard in the testes and you are rendered infertile. Would you pay a few grand in a few years time when you want a kid?

Edit: that was intended for those against taxpayers funding IVF

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    ???

So if some men are short and have small dicks, we should pay for their enlargement surgeries because they were ‘unlucky’? Having a child isn't a basic human right. Why should they? Arguments rather than opinions would be splendid.
    Well we're going to disagree, it's in our nature. Children are important (even if personally I believe that people should have no more than 2), they are future tax payers as well as future leaders. There are too many children without a decent home that if a couple can offer a child of their own a decent quality of life and they require the state's help then the state should offer that help. The same cannot be said for "penis enlargement surgery"

ReputationRep:
    Why should we pay for someone else's sex change? Why that and not all plastic surgeries to remove defects that make people severely unhappy with themselves, for example?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Let's say someone kicks you really hard in the testes and you are rendered infertile. Would you pay a few grand in a few years time when you want a kid?

Edit: that was intended for those against taxpayers funding IVF

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Those against taxpayer funded IVF will probably say that it's down to the person who did the kicking to compensate, not the taxpayer.

ReputationRep:
    Well we're going to disagree, it's in our nature. Children are important (even if personally I believe that people should have no more than 2), they are future tax payers as well as future leaders. There are too many children without a decent home that if a couple can offer a child of their own a decent quality of life and they require the state's help then the state should offer that help. The same cannot be said for "penis enlargement surgery"
    Well, perhaps they should adopt orphans, then… We don't need that many new people any more and the demand will be decreasing with robotisation. The quality of life is improving, fewer people are dying from diseases and hard labour, they stay productive longer and die older, former high risk jobs are being done much more safely, etc. The investments into IVF could be put to a much better use.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Those against taxpayer funded IVF will probably say that it's down to the person who did the kicking to compensate, not the taxpayer.
    Indeed - but what of those born infertile?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    May I point out to those who argue for IVF, we have a surplus of adoptable stock and any genes causing infertility will not be passed on.

ReputationRep:
    If this bill had been enacted in real life, I expect I would have fewer friends because a number of mine would be dead. There's every chance that one day, I'd be among them. That should tell you everything you need to know about why a service is "essential". Nay.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.