Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VM354 - Motion on the Chilcot Inquiry watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    32.00%
    On the contrary, No
    54.00%
    Abstain
    14.00%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    VM354 - Motion on the Chilcot Inquiry, The Hon. Barnetlad MPThis House condemns the delays in the publication of the Chilcot Report. The delay to mid-2016 is unfair to the relatives of those who died in Iraq and to all others affected by the Inquiry. This House believes that the report can be published online and a summary report published online in advance.

This House therefore calls for resources to be devoted to publishing a summary report by 31 December 2015 and the full report by 31 March 2016.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, I'd rather wait another year than be handed something half cocked.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Nay, I'd rather wait another year than be handed something half cocked.
    Not Protecting blair and his cronies is half arsed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Not Protecting blair and his cronies is half arsed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd prefer something finished than something that's not

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Chilcot's had more than enough time to produce a quality enquiry. The only reason for the delay is that he's trying to cover up for Bliar and co.

ReputationRep:
    It's poppycock… They have the resources to produce the report and they should do it bloody ASAP.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd prefer something finished than something that's not
    So you endorse the protection of guilty parties?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So you endorse the protection of guilty parties?
    Not at all. My views on Iraq are well documented, but I'd not force a report to be released early as I'd rather it be released when it's finished. I think that Blair's preemptive apology is a sign that whatever is in this report isn't going to be good, so I don't believe that the delay is for protection.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not at all. My views on Iraq are well documented, but I'd not force a report to be released early as I'd rather it be released when it's finished. I think that Blair's preemptive apology is a sign that whatever is in this report isn't going to be good, so I don't believe that the delay is for protection.
    So you believe that those who are guilty should not be protected, but oppose publishing it early, allowing it time to protect those who are guilty :confused:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So you believe that those who are guilty should not be protected, but oppose publishing it early, allowing it time to protect those who are guilty :confused:
    It doesn't protect the guilty parties (if they even are guilty), publishing it early and unfinished is unpreferable to publishing it when it's finished.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It doesn't protect the guilty parties (if they even are guilty), publishing it early and unfinished is unpreferable to publishing it when it's finished.
    Have you paid any attention to the news? Even the BBC is reporting that the delays are to protect any guilty parties

ReputationRep:
    We asked for a timetable, we got a timetable, we don't like the timetable so we force him to publish it early. It will just led to mistakes and errors in the final document, and while I hope, if the evidence agrees, that the report putting Blair on trial for war crimes, I think the utmost important thing is to not short change or disrespect the families of the dead, and the soldiers who fought and returned alive, and forcing the report to come out early could led to it being incomplete and/or rushed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Have you paid any attention to the news? Even the BBC is reporting that the delays are to protect any guilty parties
    And I disagree with the BBC, there are a lot of different views, depending on the network/paper/etc, on this, I respect both sides but I won't be changing my mind.

ReputationRep:
    'Nay'.

Not only do i agree with Milibanter's point about quality but i consider this report just an attempt to have a go at a man who removed a tyrant who a decade or so earlier had used chemical weapons.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    'Nay'.

Not only do i agree with Milibanter's point about quality but i consider this report just an attempt to have a go at a man who removed a tyrant who a decade or so earlier had used chemical weapons.
    And who helped maintain stability in the middle East, stability that we have not had for over a decade now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And who helped maintain stability in the middle East, stability that we have not had for over a decade now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The fact that Iraqi's are so inept that they can't govern themselves is not his fault and i'm not convinced that an ISIS like movement would not have sprung up eventually anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The fact that Iraqi's are so inept that they can't govern themselves is not his fault and i'm not convinced that an ISIS like movement would not have sprung up eventually anyway.
    There are two ways to control the populace, Hussein and the other regional dictators and Kings are/were quite good at one of them; democracy does not work, at this time, in the region and trying to implement it has spectacularly failed several times in our short lifetimes alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And who gassed innocent kurds. I'd also point out that his party members and high up people helped to bring the instability after.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    And who gassed innocent kurds. I'd also point out that his party members and high up people helped to bring the instability after.
    And what happened between the two points in time? Bush and Blair created a power vacuum

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There are two ways to control the populace, Hussein and the other regional dictators and Kings are/were quite good at one of them; democracy does not work, at this time, in the region and trying to implement it has spectacularly failed several times in our short lifetimes alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Democracy takes time, It took the UK 100s of years to achieve democracy yet we still have an unelected head of state and an unelected chamber in our legislature. Bombing democracy into people was never going to work, lets be frank, it was stupid to go into Iraq the way that we did.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.