Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mental health going down at uni watch

In a nutshell -

Study business at a pretty top university = pressure, expectations, relentlessness.

At the moment I am doing my course and applying for tons of placements and internships and frankly, I can't keep up. I am basically slugging my guts out every evening until midnight almost and am shattered every day. Doing my course, applying for job positions which means lots of cover letters, research, psychmetric testing, potential interviews etc. I'm literally dead on my knees every day. Not to mention the societies I'm involved in which I do to maintain my CV and keep it interesting for employers etc.

But I'm breaking down. Terrified of not securing a position in this banking industry which is utterly ruthless. Had lots of rejections and it's draining on me now. Struggling mentally and breaking down .. not sure how I can keep up this workrate and balance everything.

I felt really really LOW this week, I don't even want to say how low but damn low. How can I gather myself again?

ReputationRep:
    At the moment it seems like you feel as though you're doing everything you can to secure a position in your chosen field. However,you might actually be doing the opposite. Frankly, you are overworking yourself and causing yourself stress, which is affecting your mental health. Give yourself a break! This may mean cutting down on involvement in societies (even being in one will look good on your CV, so don't feel the need to be in multiple). Give yourself reasonable and achievable goals each day, for example, applying for one internship and studying for 2 hours. Pushing yourself too hard will only exhaust you and cause stress, which, when you come to securing an internship, will affect your work. Yes, you need to study and apply for jobs, but set yourself limits.

If you can't manage your workload on your own, or find your stress levels remain high, seek help from a careers adviser or counsellor at your university. They know what they're doing and should be able to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In a nutshell -

Study business at a pretty top university = pressure, expectations, relentlessness.

At the moment I am doing my course and applying for tons of placements and internships and frankly, I can't keep up. I am basically slugging my guts out every evening until midnight almost and am shattered every day. Doing my course, applying for job positions which means lots of cover letters, research, psychmetric testing, potential interviews etc. I'm literally dead on my knees every day. Not to mention the societies I'm involved in which I do to maintain my CV and keep it interesting for employers etc.

But I'm breaking down. Terrified of not securing a position in this banking industry which is utterly ruthless. Had lots of rejections and it's draining on me now. Struggling mentally and breaking down .. not sure how I can keep up this workrate and balance everything.

I felt really really LOW this week, I don't even want to say how low but damn low. How can I gather myself again?
    Maybe look at seeing a counsellor at uni and talk about how you're feeling. This may help get it out and help you identify anything you are doing that could be negatively on your mental health. Also, maybe look at how you are studying. If you are knackering yourself out studying, you really need to look at how you study otherwise you will burn out and you won't be able doing your best. It's about working smart, not hard. And as the other poster said, maybe reduce the amount of extra curricular activities you do.

If you feel that things just aren't going to plan, maybe take some days off to gather yourself. If you need more, talk to your GP. But as you know, banking is a stressful field, so you do need to try and figure out how to manage stress now.

I'm studying to become a social worker which is also a very stressful job. One thing that has helped me is critical reflection. Everyday, make the time for 15 to 30 minutes of critical reflection. Basically it's like a diary but instead of describing what happened, you need to reflect on it. Some good models of reflection that you can use to guide you are kolb, Gibbs and joharis window. The practice of critical reflection helps you figure out how to improve your work In the future and also helps you off load after a stressful day. Maybe give it a shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Potential careers aren't worth jeopardising your mental health over-cos when it declines you'll have no career. So come to a compromise. Good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.