Turn on thread page Beta

Are we more attracted to people that look different from us? watch

Announcements

I recently read this article that basically said that generally people are more attracted to individuals that look unfamiliar and are more exotic to us. For example, in Western countries that are mainly Caucasian populated, exotic would be something like olive skin and dark hair however in the middle east or asia exotic could mean blonde hair and blue eyes. Just wondering whether you guys think this is true and are more attracted to people that look different to yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    I'm attracted to all different types, but my boyfriend and I are both Caucasian. Don't really think about whether they look similar to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I recently read this article that basically said that generally people are more attracted to individuals that look unfamiliar and are more exotic to us. For example, in Western countries that are mainly Caucasian populated, exotic would be something like olive skin and dark hair however in the middle east or asia exotic could mean blonde hair and blue eyes. Just wondering whether you guys think this is true and are more attracted to people that look different to yourselves.
    hmm, I'm not sure if this is necessarily true, as most people DO end with the same race as themselves, but yeah, I do kind off see what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    If anything I think it's more likely, evolutionarily speaking, to be attracted to people who look more similar to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailored_Suit)
    If anything I think it's more likely, evolutionarily speaking, to be attracted to people who look more similar to you.
    yup, this is true.

ReputationRep:
    For me its the opposite. I want a girl who resembles a younger version of my mother 😆

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting topic, It would make sense that we are attracted to people who are physically distinct from ourselves as a way of ensuring genetic diversity in our offspring. Although, as other people have mentioned people generally reproduce with those from a similar ethnic background. Although perhaps this could be more of a cultural trend than biological?

ReputationRep:
    Well I sure as hell wouldn't want to date someone that looked like me.

ReputationRep:
    I read a while ago that rats give off pheromones in their urine, the purpose of which is to prevent inbreeding amongst populations. It was suggested that the variety of facial structure and appearance amongst humans serves the same function. So that could maybe support the idea that we're attracted to people who don't resemble ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Had a guy say this to me recently, and it turned me off. I'm not here, with you, to be fetishised as some sort of novelty prize...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.