Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you have been upstairs or downstairs in Downton Abbey? watch

ReputationRep:
    I would have been upstairs, naturally.

ReputationRep:
    Neither. I don't like it. The building isn't very nice and the area isn't very good. I prefer Cumberland.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be upstairs.
    But I would probably be downstairs given my social status/skin colour.
    If it was something like the show 'Indian Summers' and the Brits were in India, I'd probably be the upstairs people in that country.

ReputationRep:
    I would have been down stairs. They have more camaraderie down there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I would be the paving stones of the wine cellar

ReputationRep:
    As a naturally superior person, I would of course be upstairs.

I will NOT be associated with the working class people downstairs.

ReputationRep:
    Upstairs, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    I'd like to be upstairs.
    But I would probably be downstairs given my social status/skin colour.
    If it was something like the show 'Indian Summers' and the Brits were in India, I'd probably be the upstairs people in that country.
    Ditto to the first part. Except even if it was in India I'd probably be downstairs because I'm mixed as ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I would be the paving stones of the wine cellar
    lol

ReputationRep:
    I reckon bottom since I am black! But all great men, start at the bottom and they're here...

Clarification:
    I mean it was a racist time then, so I doubt I would be up there, not that I would be bottom as I am black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godivaontherocks)
    Ditto to the first part. Except even if it was in India I'd probably be downstairs because I'm mixed as ****.
    Woop woop! I say I'd be upstairs in a South-Asian country (I'd actually be in Bangladesh) because my family's wealth translates better over there. We're barely middle class here but we're well-off there. But who knows!

Ooh, what are you a mix of?

ReputationRep:
    Woop woop! I say I'd be upstairs in a South-Asian country (I'd actually be in Bangladesh) because my family's wealth translates better over there. We're barely middle class here but we're well-off there. But who knows!

Ooh, what are you a mix of?
    Lol I'm kind of a mongrel. South Indian origin mostly with French, Polish, and Portuguese ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm kind of a mongrel. South Indian origin mostly with French, Polish, and Portuguese ancestry.
    Wow, how horrific it must be for you to have such an interesting and varied heritage. :rofl:
    Mate, I'd kill for a mix like that. Smh.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, how horrific it must be for you to have such an interesting and varied heritage. :rofl:
    Mate, I'd kill for a mix like that. Smh.
    LOL you look more exotic than I do! I missed out on the light eyes from my dad's side.
    It was a little awkward growing up with all those mixtures in me though. I kinda struggled to identify as anyhing, never quite belonging anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    LOL you look more exotic than I do! I missed out on the light eyes from my dad's side.
    It was a little awkward growing up with all those mixtures in me though. I kinda struggled to identify as anyhing, never quite belonging anywhere.
    Oh, thank you. I wish it were true though. But alas, I'm just Bengali.
    Oh wow, yeah, I see how that would be a struggle! But there are so many cultures for you to explore! Have you visited all the countries relating to you? Spoken to people of those races, etc to give you an idea?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thank you. I wish it were true though. But alas, I'm just Bengali.
    Oh wow, yeah, I see how that would be a struggle! But there are so many cultures for you to explore! Have you visited all the countries relating to you? Spoken to people of those races, etc to give you an idea?
    You're gorgeous!
    I lived in France for 5 years, I was born there. So I go back once in a while. My parents are Mauritian so I lived there a little under 2 years. I've never been to India or Portugal or Poland lol. But my mum went to a boarding school somewhere in South India. I haven't seen my dad for several years but I would love to find out more about my ancestors on his side. I pretty much think of myself as dual British and Mauritian. Pretty much my nationalities so it keeps things simple.

ReputationRep:
    You're gorgeous!
    I lived in France for 5 years, I was born there. So I go back once in a while. My parents are Mauritian so I lived there a little under 2 years. I've never been to India or Portugal or Poland lol. But my mum went to a boarding school somewhere in South India. I haven't seen my dad for several years but I would love to find out more about my ancestors on his side. I pretty much think of myself as dual British and Mauritian. Pretty much my nationalities so it keeps things simple.
    You're sweet, thank you!

Wuuuut, that's so exciting! The moving thing must've been frustrating when you were younger but as an adult, it'd be such a cool experience! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    You're sweet, thank you!

Wuuuut, that's so exciting! The moving thing must've been frustrating when you were younger but as an adult, it'd be such a cool experience! :ahee:
    You're welcome!
    I know right? I love the idea of travelling and discovering new places and cultures. It really helps you grow and develop as a person sometimes. I'm planning one last move after my studies are completed. I'm hoping to move to Germany in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome!
    I know right? I love the idea of travelling and discovering new places and cultures. It really helps you grow and develop as a person sometimes. I'm planning one last move after my studies are completed. I'm hoping to move to Germany in a few years time.
    Definitely!
    Also, we've sorta derailed this thread, so I'll reply to the rest in your VM. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Downstairs. I like going downstairs.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.