The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick MORSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IMZL
Thanks for the feedback! Just wondering about a couple of things:

1. What's the teaching like on the course, how are the lectures?

2. How come you didn't like Econ at uni?

3. How much careers stuff were you exposed to in your first year? Are you/do you know people who are doing internships etc from the MORSE course?

Again, thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Lectures are decent, we had a couple of bad lecturers but for first year modules there's very good sets of lecture notes, so if worst comes to worst you can just learn from those.

2. Our lecturer and the notes used were pretty bad, I didn't understand the majority of the lectures and I wasn't interested enough to go learn the content on my own. However, the module received such bad feedback that there is a new lecturer this year and a new set of notes which are apparently much better. Economics was a well-scoring exam for those who were genuinely interested enough to learn it. I focused a lot more on the maths modules which I found more interesting.

3. There's plenty employer events at the start of term, however not many offer internships for first years. The exception to this is spring weeks offered by investment banks. Most employers offer second year summer internships.

No problem, if there's any more questions let me know :smile:

Original post by !Jack!
compare morse at warwick with accountancy and finance at lse and with maths at imperial.

also, what do you in the first year of morse in terms of modules?

I can't compare MORSE to courses I haven't done, sorry.

The set of MORSE first year modules can be found here: https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/handbooks/morse/12/#courseregs-year1

Original post by TheSnazzyMan
Quite a few good questions from IMZL. I'd just like to add a few questions :biggrin:

1.) Are the stats modules more applied maths or theoretical maths (eg linear algebra and analysis are both very theoretical)

2.) What is the workload in year 1 like? How many assignements do you have to finish each week, etc?

3.) What is the "typical" Morse student like?

@IMZL
Where else did you apply to/got offers?

1) The stats modules are more applied I think, but they still are significantly more rigorous than A-levels.

2) The workload is tough, if I remember correctly you get per fortnight:

1 x Sets and Numbers test
2 x Analysis problem sheet
1 x Mathematical Techniques sheet

and I think you also get an economics test every 5 weeks (but economics is taught over 2 terms, so that's 4 in total)

They are time consuming, it's definitely worth finding a group of people to work through them with.

3) Well, MORSE is a highly international course, there's students who are chinese, mauritian, polish, indian, bulgarian, french etc.
I really like the diversity!
People aren't very stuck-up, i've found everyone is very kind to each other.

Hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions or for me to elaborate on anything I haven't been clear about
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
Original post by Dannygem
1. Lectures are decent, we had a couple of bad lecturers but for first year modules there's very good sets of lecture notes, so if worst comes to worst you can just learn from those.

2. Our lecturer and the notes used were pretty bad, I didn't understand the majority of the lectures and I wasn't interested enough to go learn the content on my own. However, the module received such bad feedback that there is a new lecturer this year and a new set of notes which are apparently much better. Economics was a well-scoring exam for those who were genuinely interested enough to learn it. I focused a lot more on the maths modules which I found more interesting.

3. There's plenty employer events at the start of term, however not many offer internships for first years. The exception to this is spring weeks offered by investment banks. Most employers offer second year summer internships.

No problem, if there's any more questions let me know :smile:

I can't compare MORSE to courses I haven't done, sorry.

The set of MORSE first year modules can be found here: https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/handbooks/morse/12/#courseregs-year1

1) The stats modules are more applied I think, but they still are significantly more rigorous than A-levels.

2) The workload is tough, if I remember correctly you get per fortnight:

1 x Sets and Numbers test
2 x Analysis problem sheet
1 x Mathematical Techniques sheet

and I think you also get an economics test every 5 weeks (but economics is taught over 2 terms, so that's 4 in total)

They are time consuming, it's definitely worth finding a group of people to work through them with.

3) Well, MORSE is a highly international course, there's students who are chinese, mauritian, polish, indian, bulgarian, french etc.
I really like the diversity!
People aren't very stuck-up, i've found everyone is very kind to each other.

Hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions or for me to elaborate on anything I haven't been clear about

Sorry, yes, I of course meant spring weeks. Were there many that secured them, do you know?
Thanks for the help though, massively appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dannygem
X

1.) Would you mind sending me a first year past exam for Analysis/Linear Algebra? Just wanna know, what kinda questions they do.

2.) Regarding accomodation, is there any advantage in taking a 39 week let over a 30 week let (social, academic and job wise)?

3.) What's the male/female ratio (approximately)? I'd imagine it's sth like 65:35, it's like that in Vienna.

4.) How difficult was it for you to transition into Maths at uni level? Is it hard to get a 2:1 (or better)?

Original post by IMZL
X

Yeah I'm Austrian... got an unconditional for MMORSE :colonhash:
And I get why you would rather do LSE, after all, it's LSE. However, I've heard from a lecturer (that I know) that Maths at LSE isn't that good - he/she said I should put Birmingham, Bristol and KCL etc. above LSE when it comes to Maths. But yeah, we all want to go there for the reputation lol. :wink:
I'm looking forward to going to Warwick tho, I have already learnt some of the maths modules so the transition from German to English Maths hopefully won't be such a rocky path.
Original post by IMZL
Sorry, yes, I of course meant spring weeks. Were there many that secured them, do you know?
Thanks for the help though, massively appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely! I think one of my friends got 4, and got offered a summer internship for that year. Another 2 or 3 I know got spring weeks, but most of the people I am friends with are interested in other careers such as being an actuary, or an economic consultant. The MORSE society and careers center both hold events where companies in all of these areas come to the university and speak to us. Couldn't fault the careers support available at Warwick.

Original post by TheSnazzyMan
1.) Would you mind sending me a first year past exam for Analysis/Linear Algebra? Just wanna know, what kinda questions they do.

2.) Regarding accomodation, is there any advantage in taking a 39 week let over a 30 week let (social, academic and job wise)?

3.) What's the male/female ratio (approximately)? I'd imagine it's sth like 65:35, it's like that in Vienna.

4.) How difficult was it for you to transition into Maths at uni level? Is it hard to get a 2:1 (or better)?

Yeah I'm Austrian... got an unconditional for MMORSE :colonhash:
And I get why you would rather do LSE, after all, it's LSE. However, I've heard from a lecturer (that I know) that Maths at LSE isn't that good - he/she said I should put Birmingham, Bristol and KCL etc. above LSE when it comes to Maths. But yeah, we all want to go there for the reputation lol. :wink:
I'm looking forward to going to Warwick tho, I have already learnt some of the maths modules so the transition from German to English Maths hopefully won't be such a rocky path.

1) I'm afraid i'd rather not post papers directly from the Warwick website, but here is some links you may find some stuff on
Analysis: http://www.ueltschi.org/teaching.html (in particular, Autumn 2011 has 2 exams, bare in mind these papers are for January exams, we cover Analysis for 2 terms in year 1 and there is another in the summer)
Linear Algebra: Can't find anything currently, i'll have another look later, if you want to look yourself the exam code is MA106

2) I definitely found the 39 week accommodation very helpful, and I live in England to begin with. I'd definitely recommend it. I don't think it'll benefit you very much academic-wise and job-wise, it's mainly for convenience.

3) I haven't really paid attention, but according to this it is pretty much what you have suggested: https://www.lms.ac.uk/sites/lms.ac.uk/files/Warwick%20(Statistics)%20Bronze.pdf (Table 3.1)

4) As you've mentioned you've covered some of it, so it will be a lot easier for you than me. I did A-levels which is a lot easier than say, IB, or what Chinese students have to do to get into a UK university (I think).
My polish friend already had covered some concepts which made it easier for him. I think the main difficulty is adjusting to the new way of thinking about the mathematics, there is a lot more emphasis on proof of statements and the mathematical rigor in the answers (for example, you spend 2 terms learning 'what differentiation is'). My A-levels were very 'formulaic' (i.e. learn the method to approach a certain problem, and you basically just apply that method, wasn't very challenging), whereas the maths at Warwick definitely makes you think a lot more, which I enjoy.

That unconditional offer is very impressive, congratulations!
I got a MMORSE offer last month!! So ill guess ill be joining you next year, if i don't get LSE.
There is a Warwick Maths/Statistics/Computer Science department watts app group chat if anyone is interested- just private message me your number if you want in.
Original post by IMZL
Thanks for the feedback! Just wondering about a couple of things:

1. What's the teaching like on the course, how are the lectures?

2. How come you didn't like Econ at uni?

3. How much careers stuff were you exposed to in your first year? Are you/do you know people who are doing internships etc from the MORSE course?

Again, thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, I was scrolling through this. I recently got offers to study maths and econ at lse and Morse at Warwick, but I’m struggling to choose between the two. For investment banking, actuarial science and quant finance grad opportunities, which course would you say is the better choice?
Reply 27
Original post by justagcsestudent
Hiya, I was scrolling through this. I recently got offers to study maths and econ at lse and Morse at Warwick, but I’m struggling to choose between the two. For investment banking, actuarial science and quant finance grad opportunities, which course would you say is the better choice?

Hi there, same here🤔️ Which uni did you pick

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending