Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Underweight but feel fine watch

Announcements

Hi,
    I'm a 16 year old male, close to 17, I have a weight of 45kg and a height of about 158-160cm making me underweight. I can often see bone when looking in the mirror. I eat regular breakfasts, usually cereal containing oats and almonds, for lunch I normally have a small portion of chips from the local chip shop, and for dinner I have either potatoes and meat (lamb), pasta, or rice with either curry or pulses (lentils or beans). I do suffer from insomnia which is definitely a factor and I don't do any exercise.
    Other than the late nights and lack of exercise I can not find why I am not gaining weight, if possible please help.

(I have heard stress and mental health can affect physical health but other than normal college problems I am generally happy.)

ReputationRep:
    is that ALL you eat? No snacks or anything? Do you like food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    I'm a 16 year old male, close to 17, I have a weight of 45kg and a height of about 158-160cm making me underweight. I can often see bone when looking in the mirror. I eat regular breakfasts, usually cereal containing oats and almonds, for lunch I normally have a small portion of chips from the local chip shop, and for dinner I have either potatoes and meat (lamb), pasta, or rice with either curry or pulses (lentils or beans). I do suffer from insomnia which is definitely a factor and I don't do any exercise.
    Other than the late nights and lack of exercise I can not find why I am not gaining weight, if possible please help.

(I have heard stress and mental health can affect physical health but other than normal college problems I am generally happy.)
    You aren't actually underweight. Your weight is within a healthy range for someone your height.

(Original post by LiquidGold)
    is that ALL you eat? No snacks or anything? Do you like food?
    I do have before bedtime snacks, hot chocolate and biscuits, but if i'm still hungry I do go back to cereal. I like cereal.

[QUOTE=Ciel.;60381921]You aren't actually underweight. Your weight is within a healthy range for someone your height.[/Q
    Just double checked on the internet, turns out only slightly below 18, worried about nothing. I guess I shouldn't use the percentile charts, they make me feel far worse than I actually am.

ReputationRep:
    Just double checked on the internet, turns out only slightly below 18, worried about nothing. I guess I shouldn't use the percentile charts, they make me feel far worse than I actually am.
    If you really want to gain weight and perhaps build some muscles, you should eat more healthy protein food, and choose the right exercise regime. For high protein foods list visit
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ulti...ein-foods.html

ReputationRep:
    It isn't anything serious, as long as you eat all the three meals daily. My cousin's the same, she just has that small petite figure. She's 40 kgs and 29 years old.

ReputationRep:
    Hi hun, I understand you may feel fine but I strongly advise you start eating more to gain some weight and I definitely think you should speak to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It's good you are eating healthy though try and include some junk food a bar of chocolate, home made milkshake, and snacks to eat during the day
    A balanced diet of healthy and junk food is required good for the short and long term preventing further problems near future

ReputationRep:
    It is also worth mentioning that inadequate nutrition can lead to you not growing properly or reaching your full height potential. Which could already be apparent now if you're nearly 17 and only 5 ft 2 as a male. You probably still have time to combat some of this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.