Turn on thread page Beta

Should I stay or should I go? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Please excuse the long, rambling post but any advice would be much appreciated!!

After a gap year, I've started at Exeter and though I loved it at first, I'm now truly miserable. I've met some lovely people, but they're all living together next year and didn't include me which makes me terrified for second year. In addition to this, I'm finding my degree extremely unstimulating and have spoken to a girl in second year on my course who says it stays that way!

More than this, for complicated work reasons I often have to commute up to London which is expensive, long (trains are so slow!) and tiring.

I'm starting to consider whether to drop out, or maybe transfer to a local uni and commute in. Does anyone know how transfers work? Can one transfer after semester one? Or would I have to re-apply through UCAS and start again from scratch?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thenettlekettle)
    Please excuse the long, rambling post but any advice would be much appreciated!!

After a gap year, I've started at Exeter and though I loved it at first, I'm now truly miserable. I've met some lovely people, but they're all living together next year and didn't include me which makes me terrified for second year. In addition to this, I'm finding my degree extremely unstimulating and have spoken to a girl in second year on my course who says it stays that way!

More than this, for complicated work reasons I often have to commute up to London which is expensive, long (trains are so slow!) and tiring.

I'm starting to consider whether to drop out, or maybe transfer to a local uni and commute in. Does anyone know how transfers work? Can one transfer after semester one? Or would I have to re-apply through UCAS and start again from scratch?
    Do you have popcorn in for when they fall out? Why anybody would sign into any contracts yet (people have only known each other for 5 weeks!) is beyond me.

The train is only 2 and a bit hours from London, which really isn't that bad in my opinion. I can see that it would be a pain in the arse for commuting though. You should really speak to someone in person about the issues - would going part time be a better option for you? You could do this alongside your work. It'd take 5-6 years though.

Most universities that would accept a transfer would either ask you to complete the first year and transfer into year 2, or could ask you to start from square 1 with a condition that you finish your first year. In order to transfer, you'd need to speak to universities that you fancy going to and ask them. If they don't do transfers then you'd need to do the UCAS thing again and see if you could sweet talk using your first year module credits and start Year 2.

Why are you commuting for work reasons? Do you have to work this job? Is it worth more than doing well in your degree and having a good social life? In terms of your social life, you could join a society or even get in with your mates still.

Let me know what you reckon.

RF

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you doing in London that makes a return train journey from EXETER economical?

I would not actually worry unduly about accommodation YET. Do you know for sure they have signed the contract or are you basing the ;they are living together' on something they may have discussed when you were not there? If desperate the uni may allow you to live in Halls again in 2nd year and you can relive Freshers and new people (and how many people get to do that?!)

Is your degree crucial to your future job or (dare I say it, bullet proof vest donned for probable backlash.........) a 'respectable' degree like Maths/Science or something like Media Studies? You probably could change course now..........but if you have other issues a change of course may be overwhelming!

If I was you............

1. Unless you are paid something amazing, ditch the job in London and get something more local!
    2. November (EARLY ) is ridiculously early for people to be making firm ' we are living together' arrangements - thee is plenty of time to find flatmates and there are other options!
    3. Consider changing your course (within Exeter) to something you find more stimulating, unless it is a degree that will definitely open doors later. In which case, just accept that sometimes its about jumping through academic hoops, even at uni!

Good luck, it is a shame when what is supposed to be a brilliant time of life makes a young person miserable, I wish you well for the future.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.