Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year, undergraduate, Chemical Engineering student at the University of Leeds and I achieved 3 A*'s in A Level Maths, Physics and Chemistry and an A in AS Further Maths.

So far, I think the Chemical Engineering course is alright but I undoubtedly regret not choosing Mechanical Engineering.

The reasons why I chose Chemical Engineering and now want to switch to Mechanical Engineering are:
    • I thought I liked chemistry more than physics and that I was better in chemistry than physics (due to higher grade in AS Chemistry) at the time of UCAS application submission date however, by the time I completed my A levels and received my A2 results, I realised that the complete opposite was true. I was much better at physics (as I achieved a higher UMS) and I actually overall enjoyed physics (especially Newtonian mechanics because it is more logical, I feel anyway) much more than chemistry. This is making me want to do the more maths and physics orientated Mechanical Engineering.
    • I initially thought the job prospects for Chemical Engineers was better. However, I don't find this to be the case. Attending a career fair and looking online at graduate schemes, there are more graduate schemes for Mechanical Engineers and quite a lot of the graduate schemes for Chemical Engineers also recruit Mechanical Engineers (for example, oil and gas graduate schemes, which I intend to apply for after I graduate).
    • Also, I thought Chemical Engineering was very appealing and attractive however, I now find Mechanical Engineering more appealing and attractive because of the opportunity to go into the aerospace and automotive industry.
    • Also, I generally feel more of Mechanical type of guy than a Chemical one.
    If I do decide I want to switch to Mechanical Engineering, I'll have to apply for next year (2016) entry. I will most likely apply to Leeds (for which I will probably get in) and maybe other universities too. Also, I'll have to pay for 25% of tuition fee (not from my pocket but Student finance will through student loan) and about £1000 off accommodation too (again through student loans).

So, is it best for me to switch to Mechanical Engineering?

Thank you for your replies

Have you asked about transferring (within Leeds)? It's only been a month so it might still be possible

Spoiler:
    Show
    though I must say I find your motives a little hinky

ReputationRep:
    Yes because you want to do it

(also it's the best type of engineering )

ReputationRep:
    Try transfer within Leeds ASAP, it may still be possible for this year!! Otherwise, I would definitely transfer if I were you...You don't wanna be in a course where you will not like the content for the next 4 years of your life! (btw I am a Mechanical Engineering graduate from Leeds, so please feel free to ask me any questions!).

ReputationRep:
    mechanical > chemical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali97)
    I've already asked if I could transfer this year but they said I can't because of 2 reasons, the course is full and I've asked to transfer too late.

I'm not 100% sure it's worth taking this year out to start Mechanical Engineering next year. But, I do feel I'll enjoy Mechanical Engineering more than Chemical Engineering.

I just wanted to ask a few questions about the course, specifically about the content. Is there a lot of maths and physics in Mechanical Engineering, especially in comparison to Chemical Engineering? And is there a lot of mechanics? (Note, I desire lots of maths/mechanics and physics)
    How would you say the course is different to Chemical Engineering? Why did you prefer Mechanical Engineering over Chemical Engineering?

Thank you
    I cannot really compare Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, as I am not familiar with the second one, but I can talk to you a little bit about the Mechanical engineering course at Leeds.

So in first year, you do have 20 credits of Maths, 20 credits of Solid Mechanics and 20 credits of Thermofluids, which is equally split to Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics. Then you have 20 credits of Engineering materials (a lot of theory and a little bit of chemistry), Design and Manufacture (group design and manufacturing theory) and Computer Analysis, where you learn Matlab and LABVIEW, which are both programming languages.

In second year you will have 20 credits of Engineering Mechanics (which are split 50/50 to advanced Mathematics and more advanced solid Mechanics) and similarly Thermofluids 2, Vibration & Control (you should like the mechanical vibration part, again equally split), Economics and Management, Design and Manufacture 2 (similarly with 1st year) and Mechatronics, where you do some basic electrical and electromechanical engineering stuff.

In third year, the most mathematical module is Finite Element analysis (FEA), where you deal with a lot of matrices and then you'll have Thermofluids 3, and Manufacturing Processes.

In the 4th year, there are 2 mathematically related modules (15 credits each), one is called Computational and Experimental methods, where you do maths and physics in Matlab and then Design Optimization, which is more advanced maths from FEA, from year 3 and then there are a lot more electives.

Forgot to mention Computational Fluid Dynamics, which it has been changed a little bit, but it used to be very mathematically demanding (It used to be in Year 3 and they moved to Year 4, as far as I know).

Hope this helps

(Original post by Ali97)
    I've already asked if I could transfer this year but they said I can't because of 2 reasons, the course is full and I've asked to transfer too late.

What do you mean my motives are 'hinky' lol?
    well firstly I doubt that there will even be that much chemistry on a Chem Eng course, it is engineering after all; one branch can't possibly have more maths and physics than another, because engineering is virtually completely maths and physics. Looking at Leeds' course I could only see 3 modules that seemed like they would involve any chemistry (above and beyond the 'chemistry' a mechanical would cover in Materials, stuff to do with crystal structure or equilibrium diagrams for example)

What does the fact that some schemes accept applications from both mechanical and chemical engineering students tell you? Surely it says that prospects aren't any worse for chemicals, at least in the areas that you have investigated so far.

I'm not sure if the aerospace or automotive sectors are closed to chemical engineers but I definitely doubt it. It's certainly worth finding out before you do something drastic!

What does being a mechanical guy even mean? If you think the topics that mechanicals cover interest you more than those of a chem eng degree then I suppose that's a valid reason to want to change, but there will be significant overlap, especially in the first two years.

If you do drop out and try to apply for 2016/17 entry, what would you do before the next academic year starts?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ali97)
    I'm a first year, undergraduate, Chemical Engineering student at the University of Leeds and I achieved 3 A*'s in A Level Maths, Physics and Chemistry and an A in AS Further Maths.

So far, I think the Chemical Engineering course is alright but I undoubtedly regret not choosing Mechanical Engineering.

The reasons why I chose Chemical Engineering and now want to switch to Mechanical Engineering are:
    • I thought I liked chemistry more than physics and that I was better in chemistry than physics (due to higher grade in AS Chemistry) at the time of UCAS application submission date however, by the time I completed my A levels and received my A2 results, I realised that the complete opposite was true. I was much better at physics (as I achieved a higher UMS) and I actually overall enjoyed physics (especially Newtonian mechanics because it is more logical, I feel anyway) much more than chemistry. This is making me want to do the more maths and physics orientated Mechanical Engineering.
    • I initially thought the job prospects for Chemical Engineers was better. However, I don't find this to be the case. Attending a career fair and looking online at graduate schemes, there are more graduate schemes for Mechanical Engineers and quite a lot of the graduate schemes for Chemical Engineers also recruit Mechanical Engineers (for example, oil and gas graduate schemes, which I intend to apply for after I graduate).
    • Also, I thought Chemical Engineering was very appealing and attractive however, I now find Mechanical Engineering more appealing and attractive because of the opportunity to go into the aerospace and automotive industry.
    • Also, I generally feel more of Mechanical type of guy than a Chemical one.
    If I do decide I want to switch to Mechanical Engineering, I'll have to apply for next year (2016) entry. I will most likely apply to Leeds (for which I will probably get in) and maybe other universities too. Also, I'll have to pay for 25% of tuition fee (not from my pocket but Student finance will through student loan) and about £1000 off accommodation too (again through student loans).

So, is it best for me to switch to Mechanical Engineering?

Thank you for your replies
    What you've posted generally makes me agree that a switch would be in your interests. It seems like you went into chemical engineering without being fully informed on what it entails and the career prospects - something that doesn't seem entirely uncommon on TSR, at least to me. However, I would also advise you to look into mechanical engineering as well, just to make sure it's the right decision for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What you've posted generally makes me agree that a switch would be in your interests. It seems like you went into chemical engineering without being fully informed on what it entails and the career prospects - something that doesn't seem entirely uncommon on TSR, at least to me. However, I would also advise you to look into mechanical engineering as well, just to make sure it's the right decision for you.
    Well said, great advice given!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.