Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

So, title says it all pretty much. Ask me anything you want about the course and I will be happy to answer (assuming I know the answer). =P

A few things about me you may or may not want to know (just incase);

Spoiler:
    Show

I moved around 100 miles (taking the shortest route by car = 95 miles) away from home to my current uni
    I want to be a teacher after I have finished my Biomedical Science degree
    I'm gay
    I done A level Bio, Chem and Maths at A level
    Why did I choose Biomedical Science? - I chose it because it's a very well respected course and it interested me a lot. I am also able to integrate it with Biochemistry and become a Biology and Chemistry teacher once I finish my PGCE.

What I am currently doing to improve my portfolio to become a teacher:
    I am currently volunteering in something which involves going in and teaching kids in schools about the environment, I am going to do a First Aid course on the 28th November, once I a better (feel like crap right now...) I am doing to apply to a school and be a TA once a week voluntarily and I have done volunteer TA work for 2 years while I was at sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Im in year 12 and i want to become a teacher afterwards but I don't know which 1 will be better to do biochemistry or biomedical sciences in terms of job availability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aman Kaur)
    Hi Im in year 12 and i want to become a teacher afterwards but I don't know which 1 will be better to do biochemistry or biomedical sciences in terms of job availability
    I would look into both the courses in different university specifications. I'm afraid I can't say anything about a Biochemistry course but, Biomedicine is an amazing course and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.
    In terms of what's best for a Teacher, I would say if you want to teach Biology AND Chemistry, then Biochemistry might be your better option. However, Biomedical Science offers a larger variety of topics and this is why I chose it because I was far more interested in Biomedicine than Biochemistry due to the prognosis, diagnosis, symptoms, human anatomy and genetics modules plus the pharmacy and chemistry routes (the optional modules I chose this year were Drugs and Disease and Medicinal Chemistry).

Link to my uni course:
    http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/C980

So, while I do want to teach both Bio and Chem, I think my optional module choices will allow me the option to do so because I plan on splitting my degree as evenly between Bio and Chem as I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey Guys;

So, title says it all pretty much. Ask me anything you want about the course and I will be happy to answer (assuming I know the answer). =P

A few things about me you may or may not want to know (just incase);
    Spoiler:
    Show

I moved around 100 miles (taking the shortest route by car = 95 miles) away from home to my current uni
    I want to be a teacher after I have finished my Biomedical Science degree
    I'm gay
    I done A level Bio, Chem and Maths at A level
    Why did I choose Biomedical Science? - I chose it because it's a very well respected course and it interested me a lot. I am also able to integrate it with Biochemistry and become a Biology and Chemistry teacher once I finish my PGCE.

What I am currently doing to improve my portfolio to become a teacher:
    I am currently volunteering in something which involves going in and teaching kids in schools about the environment, I am going to do a First Aid course on the 28th November, once I a better (feel like crap right now...) I am doing to apply to a school and be a TA once a week voluntarily and I have done volunteer TA work for 2 years while I was at sixth form.

Hey, I'm a second year biology student wanting to become a teacher so not far off What years would you like to teach? Why do you want to teach? What are your favourite areas of biomed? What uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    Hey, I'm a second year biology student wanting to become a teacher so not far off What years would you like to teach? Why do you want to teach? What are your favourite areas of biomed? What uni are you at?
    Ideally I would like to teach the ages of 14-18 (I know this can be the age which teachers dread teaching but, I really enjoy teaching in general and I don't like dealing with too young kids (essentially any younger than 11)).

Why do I want to be a teacher?
    Ever since Sixth Form, I found enjoyment in teaching others things if they don't understand something about a subject and I think, if I can get a job as something I love doing, why not do it and get paid at the same time?

Favourite areas?
    Last year in Anatomy and Physiology, we had a human anatomy practical where people who willingly donated their bodies to science educational purposes were bought in (in pieces, i.e. groin, hip, upper leg etc...), I know this sounds grim but I did enjoy learning about the anatomy of the human body through this method.
    I also enjoyed the Pathophysiology of Disease module which was basically A LOT of diagnosis (similar to this year's module "Studies in the Biology of Disease"). So we learned how to diagnose liver disease, renal disease, UTIs etc...

So, I enjoy the course completely overall except one aspect, Microbiology, I find it REALLY boring...

I am at UWE. =)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.