The Student Room Group

Ideas for Christmas work experience

Hi, I'm looking for ideas for places that would be good to do work experience at Christmas, I've phoned a few kennels but they all say they don't take people in at Christmas as their season is finished. This is what I'm worried about, places not being open during Christmas time, any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You could get in some abattoir experience over Christmas? They're bound to be both open and busy. Another option would be more vet experience, or if you can find any farms that are starting super early, a lambing placement, but generally lambing starts after January.
Reply 2
I'm going to a cattery, and they said Christmas is one their busiest times :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Scitty
You could get in some abattoir experience over Christmas? They're bound to be both open and busy. Another option would be more vet experience, or if you can find any farms that are starting super early, a lambing placement, but generally lambing starts after January.

Oh yeah I hadn't though of doing an abattoir over Christmas, that's a good one, thanks!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by nox1
I'm going to a cattery, and they said Christmas is one their busiest times :smile:

Unfortunately I don't have any catteries near me so I'd have to wait until a holiday which my parents were off so they could take me further 😞 thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
All farms are open and working as usual over Christmas (animals will always need looking after!)
Rehoming shelters might also be another option.
Maybe a small animal vets? farms are open over christmas but ive been told to avoid them simply because there isn't a lot going on animal wise.
I've never done a christmas placement but I'd suggest SA just because
1) they're still open & less busy in summer, so although you may see less exciting things you'll get to see lots of routine things which are also important. Also, if the vets are less busy they'll often take the time to talk to you about cases & teach you some things (this is what i found with going in february vs going in June) &
2) are you sure you want to go to a farm in the middle of winter? :wink: I was fairly dedicated to getting into vet school but admittedly I'm a creature of comfort so I tried to plan what I was doing based around the seasons

Quick Reply

Latest