Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any info on Birmingham Freshers week??

ReputationRep:
    Sure thing, hopefully my memory serves me well!

Freshers here at Brum is pretty cool, although it requires some action on your part to begin with. You'll get the biggest mailout ever of stuff from your department and the Uni on freshers events and what's happening when.

Put simply, your academic department usually have a society that organise loads of bar crawls in freshers week, and if you're in uni accomodation, they'll organise a load of stuff too. Whilst you're spoilt for choice between the two, most of the bar crawls organised by both end up in the same location (namely Risa). I went with the Law lot on a bar crawl in freshers week and ended up seeing everyone from Manor House (the uni accomodation) at the end at Risa.

There are also the classic society fairs, where you can sign up for everything and anything. We even have a Fetish Society (if you think I'm kidding, they won the newcomer society award). The Guild also organise a load of events during freshers. You'll get all the info to all the events from everyone thro' the post, just trawl through it, and have a great time!

A few sites that might help you:

http://www.bugs.bham.ac.uk -- Guild of Students site
    http://www.freshers04.com -- might not work yet, but it will work over the summer, and provides loads of information on where and when to be.

If you've got any more questions, give me a shout.

Tim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n7studios)
    Sure thing, hopefully my memory serves me well!

Freshers here at Brum is pretty cool, although it requires some action on your part to begin with. You'll get the biggest mailout ever of stuff from your department and the Uni on freshers events and what's happening when.

Put simply, your academic department usually have a society that organise loads of bar crawls in freshers week, and if you're in uni accomodation, they'll organise a load of stuff too. Whilst you're spoilt for choice between the two, most of the bar crawls organised by both end up in the same location (namely Risa). I went with the Law lot on a bar crawl in freshers week and ended up seeing everyone from Manor House (the uni accomodation) at the end at Risa.

There are also the classic society fairs, where you can sign up for everything and anything. We even have a Fetish Society (if you think I'm kidding, they won the newcomer society award). The Guild also organise a load of events during freshers. You'll get all the info to all the events from everyone thro' the post, just trawl through it, and have a great time!

A few sites that might help you:

http://www.bugs.bham.ac.uk -- Guild of Students site
    http://www.freshers04.com -- might not work yet, but it will work over the summer, and provides loads of information on where and when to be.

If you've got any more questions, give me a shout.

Tim.
    oooh sounds fun!!
    is Risa the one with the beds and the seats sunken into the floor???

The website said it will be working in 20 days!!!

Can't wait until september!! don't know about bar crawls tho- i only need a glass of wine and i can't stand up!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great... I can't wait...

ReputationRep:
    hehehe me neither - sounds 'reek bo'

i'm looking forward to the debating society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    oooh sounds fun!!
    Yep, that's the one. £1.50 Black Sambucas in Risa last night pretty much secured this killer hangover I'm suffering with now!

(Original post by John Paul Jones)
    i'm looking forward to the debating society
    Go for it matey. I didn't do it this year but I'll have a crack at it next term. The standard's pretty high and you'll learn a lot from it.

ReputationRep:
    oo this sounds fun, i wonder if there is a society of lazy buggars

i'll be joining that one. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yipee)
    oo this sounds fun, i wonder if there is a society of lazy buggars

i'll be joining that one. :rolleyes:
    Well, the full list of societies is here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    oooh sounds fun!!

The website said it will be working in 20 days!!!

Can't wait until september!! don't know about bar crawls tho- i only need a glass of wine and i can't stand up!! :eek:
    Risa is really good! I'm going there tomorrow to celebrate the end of AS-levels. There are loads of great clubs and bars in Birmingham. I'm sure the Brum freshers week is amazing and I hope you all have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Risa is really good!
    I found it kinda weird how they don't mind trainers on Monday, but they do on Friday :confused:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I found it kinda weird how they don't mind trainers on Monday, but they do on Friday :confused:.
    It's because loads of ruffians come down in trainers on Friday and they need the custom on Monday (which is much quieter obvs.).

ReputationRep:
    It's because loads of ruffians come down in trainers on Friday and they need the custom on Monday (which is much quieter obvs.).
    Hmm, makes some sense I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Hmm, makes some sense I guess.
    One of the funniest signs I have seen has to be outside Snobs - which has a list that goes on and on, including:
    • NO Burberry caps
    • NO Rockport shoes

Which group of people could they possibly be trying to keep out of the place? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    One of the funniest signs I have seen has to be outside Snobs - which has a list that goes on and on, including:
    • NO Burberry caps
    • NO Rockport shoes

Which group of people could they possibly be trying to keep out of the place? :rolleyes:
    Lol, yeah. I've been there twice. That's the only place that I've been to that searches you when you go in (though I've not been many places tbh).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Lol, yeah. I've been there twice. That's the only place that I've been to that searches you when you go in (though I've not been many places tbh).
    Searching is v. rare from my experience, Snobs does have a habit of searching virtually all the guys esp. on busier nights. If you haven't already had a look there, the Medicine Bar in the Custard Factory can be really good. During One-live they built a stage rig over the small, man-made lake outside and had some amazing guest DJs, but I didn't go to that.

ReputationRep:
    Searching is v. rare from my experience, Snobs does have a habit of searching virtually all the guys esp. on busier nights. If you haven't already had a look there, the Medicine Bar in the Custard Factory can be really good. During One-live they built a stage rig over the small, man-made lake outside and had some amazing guest DJs, but I didn't go to that.
    Seen. Will have to try Medicine Bar next year then .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Seen. Will have to try Medicine Bar next year then .
    Yeh, I'm sure you will land every place in town within a few months of being there. I'd love to go to Brum, it's just a shame I live so close - because I don't want to stay in my house, and they can't guarantee halls to people in the area. You'll love it though! There is loads of choice and there are some amazing bars and pubs near the uni which are just amazing and have their beer gardens just packed with cool students. The Goose and The Soak are really good.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I'm sure you will land every place in town within a few months of being there. I'd love to go to Brum, it's just a shame I live so close - because I don't want to stay in my house, and they can't guarantee halls to people in the area. You'll love it though! There is loads of choice and there are some amazing bars and pubs near the uni which are just amazing and have their beer gardens just packed with cool students. The Goose and The Soak are really good.
    I'm already here, just finished my first year! Not been to The Goose (do you know what OVT stands for btw?) or The Soak. Not out much tbh, though have been to the Gun Barrells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I'm already here, just finished my first year! Not been to The Goose (do you know what OVT stands for btw?) or The Soak. Not out much tbh, though have been to the Gun Barrells.
    I don't know actually, could it be something to do with the brewery?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know actually, could it be something to do with the brewery?
    Scrub that, my mate said it means 'Old Varsity Tavern'. You learn something new every day, lol.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.