Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Printer for university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for printers to take to university, I have been looking around and they all seem ridiculously expensive (either themselves or ink cartridges) or have bad reviews
    I know that I could use a university one when I go but from my experience at college with not nearly the workload (I'm assuming) I already know how expensive that can get, and frustrating when there is a queue or it is broken

I was looking at Epson ones but after research I've noticed that printers from Epson seem to have a lot of bad reviews

Also I don't want a printer with that automatic ink buying capability which most of the ones I have seen seem to have since they are also reported to be big money wasters

Thanks, sorry for the long post

(sorry if this is in the wrong bit)

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you'll need a printer for uni? I've just finished an MBA and there was no need to print a single document throughout the whole course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Are you sure you'll need a printer for uni? I've just finished an MBA and there was no need to print a single document throughout the whole course.
    I'm not 100% yet, the course I'm going to do does seem to have things like essays and poster which from what I've seen need printing off but I know for sure that I like to print everything off and type and print up my notes and since I'm hopefully doing a 4 year course that would be a year of extra printing to account for.
    Really I'd just like to know which are good for if I do buy one
    Maybe with scanning abilities because I know at home I always end up needing to scan something but the printer doesn't have one -.-

ReputationRep:
    Ooh this'll be useful to find out more about. Gonna watch this thread

As an aside, could I also add (if anyone can help also) a preference to smaller printers? (That can do A4)

ReputationRep:
    I hav an Epson. No idea what model it's a small black one which cost about 50 quid and is really good on ink. I've only had to buy more ink once and at wasn't expensive but I've had no complaints so far =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    I hav an Epson. No idea what model it's a small black one which cost about 50 quid and is really good on ink. I've only had to buy more ink once and at wasn't expensive but I've had no complaints so far =)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome! If you're not sure about the model, would it be alright posting a quick pic of it? Thanks a lot ^^

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446651072.301171.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  84.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It says xp-710 on the front no idea if that's the model =L I'm hopeless at stuff like this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It says xp-710 on the front no idea if that's the model =L I'm hopeless at stuff like this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you Yeah I think that's the Epson XP-710

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you remember where you got it from? I can only find this make for like £100+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    Do you remember where you got it from? I can only find this make for like £100+
    Hey.. What's your budget looking like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Hey.. What's your budget looking like?
    Im not sure, i think itll be the case of do i think its worth it when i find a printer and how much replacement cartridges are
    Although id say id be quite unlikely to spend more than £60
    Whats your budget?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure, i think itll be the case of do i think its worth it when i find a printer and how much replacement cartridges are
    Although id say id be quite unlikely to spend more than £60
    Whats your budget?
    I think similar. 80 might be pushing it but yeah 60-70 seems worth it for a decent all-in-one!

ReputationRep:
    I think similar. 80 might be pushing it but yeah 60-70 seems worth it for a decent all-in-one!
    If i spent £80 i think id start wanting it to be writing my essays for me, nevermind printing them

ReputationRep:
    If i spent £80 i think id start wanting it to be writing my essays for me, nevermind printing them
    Lol fair point!!

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that in general cheaper printers require more expensive cartridges.

ReputationRep:
    Lol fair point!!
    Just thought id let you know i saw a canon pixma MG2450 at tesco for £28
    It has good reviews and it is a 3 in one although it says to print double sided it is manual but that isnt a big down side
    Also an XL ink cartridge for black seems to be about £13 on amazon which int as bad as ive seen for other printers but i havent had a good look around at other sites for ink

ReputationRep:
    Just thought id let you know i saw a canon pixma MG2450 at tesco for £28
    It has good reviews and it is a 3 in one although it says to print double sided it is manual but that isnt a big down side
    Also an XL ink cartridge for black seems to be about £13 on amazon which int as bad as ive seen for other printers but i havent had a good look around at other sites for ink
    WOW that sounds almost too good to be true xD Tbh yeah I forgot about double sided.. That's a pretty big thing as well for me (Idk I hate seeing people print past papers with only one side per sheet -.-)

Tbh I've no idea of the pricing of typical ink cartridges. I suppose I should start to look at those too

Thanks for letting me know tho

ReputationRep:
    WOW that sounds almost too good to be true xD Tbh yeah I forgot about double sided.. That's a pretty big thing as well for me (Idk I hate seeing people print past papers with only one side per sheet -.-)

Tbh I've no idea of the pricing of typical ink cartridges. I suppose I should start to look at those too

Thanks for letting me know tho
    Your welcome
    Yeah the one sided past papers annoy me too but if i dont find anything else ill get this and figure out how to do the double sided manually or keep my uni credit for double sided purposes only
    Luckily i prefer my notes only on one side so it wouldnt make too much of an issue for me

ReputationRep:
    Your welcome
    Yeah the one sided past papers annoy me too but if i dont find anything else ill get this and figure out how to do the double sided manually or keep my uni credit for double sided purposes only
    Luckily i prefer my notes only on one side so it wouldnt make too much of an issue for me
    Yeah fair enough :3

Are you looking to purchase soon or nearer the end of the academic year?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.