The Student Room Group

Is it worth re-doing my A Levels?

Hi All

I realise I've left this a little late, as I am now 24 approaching 25, but I'm still thinking about this.

When I took my A Levels, back in 2007-2009, I was suffering with various personal health issues that meant my results were poor. I took Spanish, English Literature and Further Maths, and my results were CDE.

My health has since improved majorly, and I am currently doing an apprenticeship with a large and well-respected global company, in Customer Services. I work in the internal client sector, providing assistance and support to the firm's employees on issues relating to training, finance and IT issues, so my A Levels aren't really required for my role. However, the fact that I achieved such poor results plays on my mind a lot, as I know that with my health in better shape I am capable of much better grades.

Do you think it would be worth re-doing my A Levels? As I took them so long ago, I would need to completely restudy from the beginning of AS, so I would have to pay for everything right from the beginning. Like I said, I realise I don't need the grades to continue with my career here at the firm, but I do find it quite embarrassing having those grades on my records.

Thank you in advance. :smile:
If I were you, I'd just put it behind me. If it's not going to further your career or anything, it sounds like a waste of time and money.
Reply 2
Forget them and move on, there is more to life than A-level grades! :smile:))
If you want to change your academic achievements why not look forward and do an open university degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ask yourself the following:

- Can I commit the time and effort to learn these A levels and come out with respectable results (minimum B)?

- Will these results benefit me in the future? (Do you plan on staying in the same roles always? Have you thought of university? Perhaps a change in career? You might have had your mind set on something in the past).

- What subjects do I enjoy? Am I more of a mathematical and logically minded person or am I more on the creative side? Or am I a bit of both?

- When I find these A levels hard at times (which you will, everyone does) - Will I keep pushing for excellence?

After you answer these questions, stack them up and you'll be able to decide for yourself. Don't listen to people telling you to just put it behind you. If it's on your mind, clearly it's bothering you. You know those grades don't represent you. You cringe or feel a slight pain in your chest when others know about it. If you want excellence, go for it?

Quick Reply

Latest