Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mature Student Finance - Courses started in 2015 - PLEASE ANSWER watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I started my degree course this year and as I turned 25 after the start of my course, I understand that for my second and third year I will be judged as a mature student, thus making me eligible to be means tested apart from my parents and potentially eligible for a grant and loan.

Money Supermarket had a really helpful guide that indicated the maximum amount I might receive, however, with the changes that are to be introduced for those starting courses in 2016, they have replaced the guide.

Is anyone able to advise on the potential maximum grant/loan for a mature student studying in London (living with parents). I do of course understand that it would be an estimate and not a guarantee of what I will receive.

Also, as I turned 25 after the start of my course, can I now re-apply for finance as a Mature student for this year?

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

If you go onto our Student Finance Calculator found http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ . This will give you estimates of what you will be eligible for in the 15/16 academic year. This will not change much for the 16/17 as the changes that are happening will not affect yourself as your course started before 2016.

You are not able to change this years application as you need to be 25 before the start of the academic year.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark,

When using the calculator, as an independent student do I count as living with parents, or living away from parents? I'm studying in London, so obviously this makes a big difference to the potential loan I might receive.

Also, are there limits on the loans and grants available to independent students?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

We still take into account if you are living with your parents, even if you are over 25, so if you live with your parents, choose that option.

The grants and loans available to independent students are the same as the maximum amounts available for dependent students.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.