Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PGCE interview process 2016 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - I have just joined this site as I thought it would be really interesting to talk to some potential PGCE applicants I have applied for a primary PGCE next year and I already have an interview for the university of Manchester on Friday. I have also received interview offer from the university of Leeds which I'm really pleased with because it is my first choice. After reading the email I was quite surprised to see that they want me to choose a book, review it, plan and present a lesson and link it to other curricular lessons too. I think that would be quite interesting and I'm okay with that but I also have to do a writing test, grammar test, maths test and a 45 minute interview too. Can anyone shed some light on this and give me any advice / tips? I'm currently an English teacher in the Spain so coming back to the UK is doable but very expensive, thankfully Manchester have offered me an interview via Skype. Thank you!Charlotte

ReputationRep:
    Hi Charlotte

I'm currently in a similar situation to you as I'm live in Japan working as an English language teacher and have applied for a pgce course at Manchester met and Egde Hill Liverpool. Iv just today received a interview date for edge hill but like yourself it be hard to fly back to the u.k for a interview. Just wondering how you arranged a Skype interview ?

Thanks

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benspenceley;[url="tel:60414269")
    60414269[/url]]Hi Charlotte

I'm currently in a similar situation to you as I'm live in Japan working as an English language teacher and have applied for a pgce course at Manchester met and Egde Hill Liverpool. Iv just today received a interview date for edge hill but like yourself it be hard to fly back to the u.k for a interview. Just wondering how you arranged a Skype interview ?

Thanks

Ben
    Hi Ben,

I have an interview with via Skype tomorrow with Manchester Uni and I have had to prepare a presentation, a lesson and will be having a question and answer interview so I'm hoping that is all there is to that but will let you know.

I have also spoken to Leeds Uni and they require me to come home. They are understanding and we have selected a date which gives me time to fly back home but unless I get an offer from Manchester it looks like I will have to fly home. Luckily I'm only in Spain I could come home for a few days but being in Japan must be really frustrating and stressful. I think some universities are really understanding whereas others just expect you to drop everything.

Are you coming back to the UK for Christmas?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for your interview!

Yeah very frustrating Iv spoken to Edge hill admissions on the phone yesterday and they said they couldn't do a Skype interview!

When you spoke to Manchester can you remember who you spoke to?

Was it someone from admissions or the teaching faculty.

I'm back home in March so think my only option is to go through apply 2 and keep my fingers crossed they still have places in March.

ReputationRep:
    Based on my Secondary interview, I believe the numeracy/literacy test is to gauge how much assistance you'll need before you complete your Professional Skills Test (assuming you haven't passed it already)

Your lesson sounds much more difficult than my 15 minute one! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Ben!

Where abouts in Japan are you living? My boyfriends brother has been living in Tokyo for over two years and he loves it.

I received an email from both Leeds and Manchester offering an interview and I called the number at the bottom of the number and got through to the admissions team. I explained my circumstances and Manchester offered me a Skype interview and Leeds didn't.

I hope that if you explain they will let you have an interview in March and you have just as much chance as you do now. It's a catch 22 because it's really important to get onto the course you want to do at the university, but then your current job and commitments are equally important too.

Keep me posted!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.