Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pls help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,I'm in a huge dilemma right now.Pls don't hold back and tell me your honest opinions.
    I'm currently doing AS levels.My subjects are Eco,Business and Env.Mang.I want to take a 4th subject but I don't know which.My two options are Sociology or Psychology.Honestly,I like Sociology better and I'd like to get a degree in social science.The only problem is that I'll have to do the portion privately then do the exam with my school whereas Psychology lessons would be available in school.The teachers were highly supportive and offered after school Sociology lessons but I'm so confused rn,what would you do in my place?

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can keep up with doing sociology after school and at home, go for it! Taking a subject that's not useful is ultimately a waste of time. It sounds like your school will be giving you loads of support through this aswell... I'd say just go for it and see what happens. Btw, would you get the option to drop it at the end of this year or do you have to decide that all now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    If you think you can keep up with doing sociology after school and at home, go for it! Taking a subject that's not useful is ultimately a waste of time. It sounds like your school will be giving you loads of support through this aswell... I'd say just go for it and see what happens. Btw, would you get the option to drop it at the end of this year or do you have to decide that all now?
    Nope,I'have to pay my exam fees now and plus I need 4 subjects for uni.I'm so confused as Sociology is alot harder that Psychology according to everyone but I find myself more interested in Sociology

ReputationRep:
    Your school/parents won't pay the fees for you? If you ask your school I'd be surprised if they say no, loads of people sit exams through school but study privately (ie: people who speak another language like Chinese or Arabic which isn't taught at their school).

If your teachers are offering support (after-school lessons) and if you are motivated, the only reason I can see for you to not do sociology is finance but surely you can find a way?

Hope this help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorkForYourDream)
    Nope,I'have to pay my exam fees now and plus I need 4 subjects for uni.I'm so confused as Sociology is alot harder that Psychology according to everyone but I find myself more interested in Sociology
    Definitely go with what you enjoy (do some more research around what's in the syllabus for each subject if you need to). Doing something you don't like as much will make the subject seem like a chore no matter how easy it supposedly is, and you'll regret it further down the line.
    The fact your teachers are so supportive is a good sign - if you feel you'd be able to make good use of your time to be able to keep up all four subjects it seems like a good option. I'm surprised universities want four subjects (if you're doing your AS this year then I'm assuming you're part of the first cohort doing the reformed A levels?) - which unis are those?

ReputationRep:
    Your school/parents won't pay the fees for you? If you ask your school I'd be surprised if they say no, loads of people sit exams through school but study privately (ie: people who speak another language like Chinese or Arabic which isn't taught at their school).

If your teachers are offering support (after-school lessons) and if you are motivated, the only reason I can see for you to not do sociology is finance but surely you can find a way?

Hope this help.
    What I meant was that I HAVE to make a decision bc in my school we pay for the exam earlier

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was that I HAVE to make a decision bc in my school we pay for the exam earlier
    riiiiiiiiiight, gotcha. If you are more interested in sociology, go for it, it'll help with your motivation and that is essentially the hardest element of being a sixth form student haha

ReputationRep:
    riiiiiiiiiight, gotcha. If you are more interested in sociology, go for it, it'll help with your motivation and that is essentially the hardest element of being a sixth form student haha
    EVERYBODY is like it's so hard and all.I don't want to regret my decision

ReputationRep:
    EVERYBODY is like it's so hard and all.I don't want to regret my decision
    All A-levels are hard? Tbh, you shouldn't make this decision from a place of fear (ie: I won't do it in case I fail), if so you may as well give up on life. If it's important for your future, it's worth a shot. And you'll probably do better at what you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice & time.I've decided to just give it my all and go for it.I just bought the book today. I'll update this post after my results come out if I'm there

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.