Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Surveillance bill to include internet records storage- "snoopers chart" watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34715872

Internet firms will have to store details of every website visited by UK citizens in the past 12 months, under planned new surveillance laws.Why is nobody kicking up a fuss about this? straight out of some Orwellian novel? opinions on this? is it justified? will it be abused?

ReputationRep:
    I think the majority of the public will be very uncomfortable with this, but are just browbeaten since it seems whichever party they vote for doesn't give two ****s about their civil liberties. The safeguards proposed seem fine in principio but it doesn't take much imagination to see the potential problems. How will the data be stored? Will the targeted firms have the time or motivation to properly secure the data? If everything goes perfectly then there may well be enough safeguards, but there are so many clauses here that the margin of error seems very small. Just to add my perspective, I hope the bill will ultimately be thrown out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverbeejail)

Internet firms will have to store details of every website visited by UK citizens in the past 12 months, under planned new surveillance laws.Why is nobody kicking up a fuss about this? straight out of some Orwellian novel? opinions on this? is it justified? will it be abused?
    Because Internet service providers have been selling your data for ages.

ReputationRep:
    If they amend the bill to say that your records are only accessible once a warrant has been issued I have no problem with it. Your ISP already has the ability to do this.

If you're that bothered, don't use the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverbeejail)

What about foreigners?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    If they amend the bill to say that your records are only accessible once a warrant has been issued I have no problem with it. Your ISP already has the ability to do this.

If you're that bothered, don't use the internet.
    This

That and the information is stored securely. If it's going to be kept around I don't want any one to know my internet history unless there is a good reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    This has been going on for a long while, just not 'officially'.

If you are really that upset, I'm sure the ongoing myriad of solutions to 'vanish' on the web will continue to be of use.

ReputationRep:
    It bothers me more that companies collect and sell my data, I think that's worse than my search history. Isn't that similar to cookies, anyway? I'd rather the government know than some sleazy Internet business.

This is what happens when a culture relies so much on technology. People will always know what you're doing

ReputationRep:
    We are all ****ed if this passes. Britain will soon become Orwell's nightmare.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.