Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Internet Newbies and the Weird Corners of the Internet watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I know it's not exclusive to the older generation, but a lady I know has recently taken to the Internet. She's 69 years of age. Somehow, she's ended up exploring the weird corners of Youtube. Now she's watching the skies for chem trails when she's out, has stocked up her larder and keeps trying to give me stuff like paracord bracelets and fire starting kits. She doesn't seem to understand that just because someone says that they are a doctor, or an ex-CIA agent or something, that doesn't mean that what they say is the truth. She's moved on to Alex Jones.

When she first started, I warned her against viruses, those emails from princes on the run who have millions to share, that sort of thing. Didn't see this coming, though.

Do you have any experience with elderly people/Internet newbies having weird adventures online?

ReputationRep:
    My grandmother now draws furries in her past time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    My dad and aunt tried friending me on facebook!!! i declined and deleted facebook after
    It was very weird

ReputationRep:
    What happened to calling people noobs

:
    Aunt got scared about 'Your phone has a virus. Click this to remove it' scheme

Edit: Oh my bro (10 years) get owned by clickbait
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Yes
    My dad and aunt tried friending me on facebook!!! i declined and deleted facebook after
    It was very weird
    Half my family are Facebook friends. My mom loves playing FB games and is always forwarding those soppy inspirational quote pictures. Same with my aunt. I legged it out of there.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    My grandmother now draws furries in her past time.
    A very creative pastime for a grandmother. Least she won't be knitting you embarrassing jumpers...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by LeyK)
    What happened to calling people noobs

:
    Aunt got scared about 'Your phone has a virus. Click this to remove it' scheme

Edit: Oh my bro (10 years) get owned by clickbait
    It felt somewhat inappropriate referring to an elderly lady as a noob.

ReputationRep:
    We need more pensioners online. That way the can act as a virtual 'buffer' for cyber crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    A very creative pastime for a grandmother. Least she won't be knitting you embarrassing jumpers...
    what if she knits jumpers with her furry art on them

ReputationRep:
    Instead she'll be knitting him embarrassing tails.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, my highly intelligent aunt/uncle have become creationists. The internet is a terrible place.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by K.C)
    what if she knits jumpers with her furry art on them
    Good point! :eek:

Might be a market for that kind of thing, though. Granny could be rich!

ReputationRep:
    Not really. The reindeers on my Christmas jumpers have now been anthropomorphised.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Yup, my highly intelligent aunt/uncle have become creationists. The internet is a terrible place.
    How did that happen? Usually the other way around, isn't it?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Not really. The reindeers on my Christmas jumpers have now been anthropomorphised.
    :laugh:

Would make it easy to pull a furry, though.

ReputationRep:
    How did that happen? Usually the other way around, isn't it?
    They were Christians anyway, and then they started to 'research evolution' using the internet. They found the works of Richard Dawkins vs some infamous creationist...and one thing led to another and now they are fully fledged Young Earth Creationists.

They find their 'sources' on the internet from washed up academics who rarely ever publish anything peer-reviewed.

I've tried to reason them and debate. But there is no light at the end of the tunnel. They are stuck in their ways..

ReputationRep:
    It felt somewhat inappropriate referring to an elderly lady as a noob.
    Maybe it's the 10 year gamer in me
    but they are the biggest internet noobs evaar :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:

Would make it easy to pull a furry, though.
    Rudolph's nose was not the only bright red thing she sewed onto the jumper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    They were Christians anyway, and then they started to 'research evolution' using the internet. They found the works of Richard Dawkins vs some infamous creationist...and one thing led to another and now they are fully fledged Young Earth Creationists.

They find their 'sources' on the internet from washed up academics who rarely ever publish anything peer-reviewed.

I've tried to reason them and debate. But there is no light at the end of the tunnel. They are stuck in their ways..
    Ugh. That's the thing, isn't it? Some people believe that when someone calls themselves an academic, or something else that sounds impressive, whatever they come out with must, therefore, be the truth.

My grandmother is a creationist as well. She sent me a book some months ago that is meant to conclusively disprove evolution. It's completely cringe-worthy, pointing out the differences between humans and apes, and how science has made errors in the past etc. I don't think that whoever wrote it understands evolution or how science works...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Rudolph's nose was not the only bright red thing she sewed onto the jumper
    :laugh: Shame I already repped you.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.