Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Problems at Sixth Form and Life watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I need some advice.

I am a student in year 12, at sixth form, and hating it :mad:. There are multiple reasons why I am hating it.

The people here. I have been in this school since year 7, and from years 7 to 11, I only had around 4 friends, and they all left at the end of year 11. So I am stuck with the people who are idiots (they seem dumb but they got better grades than I did) and the new people, who are all from the same school and they are all just in their friendship group. I tried to become friends with them, but we have nothing in common .

This leads onto my second point. My Subjects. I got all C's in my GCSE's, meaning that my school would not let me take any AS Levels, and instead I have to do BTECS (Double IT and Business), which makes me look stupid, as everyone else is doing A Levels. I have been laughed at because of this, and It has really put me down. Another thing is that because I do not do any exams, this also makes me look stupid, and being Indian, this doesn't help either, as I have to live with this expectation that I am going to get A* in every single thing, when really I am just dumb.

Ever since all this, I have also not been feeling like my old self. Now I am just sad everywhere I go and especially in school, as when I see people in the corridors in my school they are all laughing and doing what friends do, and then there is me just looking at them and wondering "I have tried to make friends, but it isn't going anywhere. "

I don't enjoy what I do in my leisure time anymore, as I used to love playing games, but now I am just not feeling it at all. I started going to the gym, but that lasted 2 weeks or so, as I wasn't motivated. All I do now in my free times is go on my computer, and look forward to my later life, when I will be free and will be able to do what I want. Quite depressing really, but I have nothing to do.

I tried to contact a college in a town near me, and they do not enrol anymore, as I have missed too much study. I was thinking of going to another sixth form, but then it might be deja-vu, as I might not make any friends. The only thing decent about the school I'm in, is the fact that there are no bullies around, and that if i transfer to a different school, i might get bullied, as the other schools in my Town have a reputation for that.

Sorry for this being so long, just i needed to get it off my shoulders somewhere. Thanks for reading, and any sort of response will be great.

ReputationRep:
    This really sucks! Is there any chance you could do your BTEC's at college instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellalalaxo)
    This really sucks! Is there any chance you could do your BTEC's at college instead?
    they do not offer it i think, but I will double check and get back to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devandra)

I am a student in year 12, at sixth form, and hating it :mad:. There are multiple reasons why I am hating it.

The people here. I have been in this school since year 7, and from years 7 to 11, I only had around 4 friends, and they all left at the end of year 11. So I am stuck with the people who are idiots (they seem dumb but they got better grades than I did) and the new people, who are all from the same school and they are all just in their friendship group. I tried to become friends with them, but we have nothing in common .

This leads onto my second point. My Subjects. I got all C's in my GCSE's, meaning that my school would not let me take any AS Levels, and instead I have to do BTECS (Double IT and Business), which makes me look stupid, as everyone else is doing A Levels. I have been laughed at because of this, and It has really put me down. Another thing is that because I do not do any exams, this also makes me look stupid, and being Indian, this doesn't help either, as I have to live with this expectation that I am going to get A* in every single thing, when really I am just dumb.

Ever since all this, I have also not been feeling like my old self. Now I am just sad everywhere I go and especially in school, as when I see people in the corridors in my school they are all laughing and doing what friends do, and then there is me just looking at them and wondering "I have tried to make friends, but it isn't going anywhere. "

I don't enjoy what I do in my leisure time anymore, as I used to love playing games, but now I am just not feeling it at all. I started going to the gym, but that lasted 2 weeks or so, as I wasn't motivated. All I do now in my free times is go on my computer, and look forward to my later life, when I will be free and will be able to do what I want. Quite depressing really, but I have nothing to do.

I tried to contact a college in a town near me, and they do not enrol anymore, as I have missed too much study. I was thinking of going to another sixth form, but then it might be deja-vu, as I might not make any friends. The only thing decent about the school I'm in, is the fact that there are no bullies around, and that if i transfer to a different school, i might get bullied, as the other schools in my Town have a reputation for that.

Sorry for this being so long, just i needed to get it off my shoulders somewhere. Thanks for reading, and any sort of response will be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judogainz)
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judogainz)
    Retarded, sure :P

D*D*D* in BTEC Level 3 IT
    Second year at a top 20 university
    On track for a first class degree in Computer Science
    and will be pursuing a MSc in either CS/SE, Information Security or Data Science after graduating

and what you're still at sixth form?

BTECs have better employability statistics for both grads and non-grads, A levels mean **** all in the real world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devandra)

Why on earth would you feel stupid?

BTECs have much better employment prospects and are accepted by 95% of universities

I admittedly had this problem but you can just shut these idiots up when you actually show them what you are studying and when you get into a better uni than them they will soon shut up, I had that with this problem with this guy who was studying a range of different A level and had no real direction he said my Computing based BTEC was worthless and wouldnt get me anywhere, he now works in a shop full time for £6 per hour and i am at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science

Vocational education is the way forward if you ask me it actually leads students to a career and stops people with no direction going into jobs they could do with out going to sixth form - wasting money and resources, most employers put their staff through vocational qualifications too, if A levels were so much better why wouldnt they put their staff through them, they both require the same amount of GLH?

If anyone says anything to you at sixth form for the choices you have made, they are clearly very immature and once they get into the real world they will see how worthless their A level qualification really are, all they are good for is university admission which BTECs are just as good for except BTECs have higher employment rates for both graduates and non-graduates, these are also all in professional or managerial roles where most A level students who go to uni tend to go into unskilled jobs as they dont actually have the vocational skills required and generally dont have a pathway to follow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Retarded, sure :P

D*D*D* in BTEC Level 3 IT
    Second year at a top 20 university
    On track for a first class degree in Computer Science
    and will be pursuing a MSc in either CS/SE, Information Security or Data Science after graduating

and what you're still at sixth form?

BTECs have better employability statistics for both grads and non-grads, A levels mean **** all in the real world
    Not necessarily, I have heard that 70% of BTEC students at university dropped out because of the huge difference between A levels and BTEC level 3, hence why the government is now trying to adjust the gap between BTECs and A levels by making BTECS have exams as BTEC students seem to be lacking behind and have no exam foundation.

So, BTEC courses this year that have no exams will have some exams next year especially those that are science related

ReputationRep:
    BTECS do provide you with practical skills but they don't seem to equip you with the exam knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    I think employers would prefer a BTEC person than an A level person because of the practical experience you get with that BTEC so, stop comparing yourself with other people

I do health and social care so no longer attend sixthform and don't really care that my other friends are at sixthfrom doing A2, we have different ways and their goals are different from mine.

Be positive and just try your harden those BTECS.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that doing AS/A2's give you a better chance, compared to people doing BTECs, but I will take all your words on-board. Still, it would be nice to move to an environment where people are doing the same things as I am, but if I cant, then I guess I just have to grow a pair and deal with the situation I'm in.

Thanks to everyone who responded

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.