Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am a Feminist watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I support the campaign for equal rights for both sexes. Men and women should be respected equally, and both given the opportunities they deserve. Women should be paid equally as well as men under the same vocation. Women should not be objectified. Women deserve the rights to voice their opinions.

The list goes on:
    Co-educative schools, same content of classes for girls and boys, same qualification for men and women is important.

For women, career is just as important as for men; equal professional opportunities for men and women are important.

Neither partner should dominate; solutions do not always follow the principle of finding a concerted decision; status quo is maintained if disagreement occurs.

However, men and women are different in many ways aside from the obvious, and women and men have gender roles that they should appreciate. Radical feminism completely trashes the thought of gender roles.

For example you can't expect a man to be as able as woman when it comes to caring for a newborn, can you? I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it's stupid to campaign for childcare of newborns to be of equal responsibility for both parents. Women are biologically and psychologically more able in these circumstances. But if the partners decide among themselves to share the responsibilities, then so be it, but it isn't something that should be expected from the outset or campaigned about. Similarly with housework. Most men want their partner to take care of the majority of housework, does it mean these men are against equal rights? Of course not! If the man is happy to help equally, then so be it, if the women wants the man to help equally, this should be understood from the outset.

Likewise with Men. Most women want the male to be the main support for the family in terms of finance. I think this is perfectly normal for women to think this. But this doesn't mean the men should disagree with females wanting to be independent, and frown upon them wanting to work for themselves, because that is wrong.

What I'm trying to say is, there are gender roles that must be appreciated, that shouldn't interfere with what equality is. Radical feminists do not appreciate gender roles whatsoever. As a Male, I would not expect my partner to want me to offer full nursing care for a newborn, I wouldn't know where to start, but if she wants me to help, I'll try. And, I wouldn't expect my partner to take care of finances either, but if she wants to contribute, that's fine by me !

TL;DR - Equality is important. Males are not better beings than females but there is no place for radical feminism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    I support the campaign for equal rights for both sexes. Men and women should be respected equally, and both given the opportunities they deserve. Women should be paid equally as well as men under the same vocation. Women should not be objectified. Women deserve the rights to voice their opinions.

The list goes on:
    Co-educative schools, same content of classes for girls and boys, same qualification for men and women is important.

For women, career is just as important as for men; equal professional opportunities for men and women are important.

Neither partner should dominate; solutions do not always follow the principle of finding a concerted decision; status quo is maintained if disagreement occurs.

However, men and women are different in many ways aside from the obvious, and women and men have gender roles that they should appreciate. Radical feminism completely trashes the thought of gender roles.

For example you can't expect a man to be as able as woman when it comes to caring for a newborn? I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it's stupid to campaign for childcare of newborns to be of equal responsibility for both parents. Women are biologically and psychologically more able in these circumstances. But if the partners decide among themselves to share the responsibilities, then so be it, but it isn't something that should be expected from the outset or campaigned about. Similarly with housework. Most men want their partner to take care of the majority of housework, does it mean these men are against equal rights? Of course not! If the man is happy to help equally, then so be it, if the women wants the man to help equally, this should be understood from the outset.

Likewise with Men. Most women expect the male to be the main support for the family in terms of finance. I think this is perfectly normal for women to think this. But this doesn't mean the men should disagree with females wanting to be independent, and frown upon them wanting to work for themselves, because that is wrong.

What I'm trying to say is, there are gender roles that must be appreciated, that shouldn't interfere with what equality is. Radical feminists do not appreciate gender roles whatsoever. As a Male, I would not expect my partner to want me to offer full nursing care for a newborn, I wouldn't know where to start, but if she wants me to help, I'll try. And, I wouldn't expect my partner to take care of finances either, but if she wants to contribute, that's fine by me !

TL;DR - Equality is important. Male supremacy should be eradicated and likewise with radical feminism
    But how many bras have you burnt today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    But how many bras have you burnt today?
    I don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    You're not a feminist, you're an Egalitarian~!

ReputationRep:
    Inb4 "If a guy's a feminist he's beta and subservient to feminazis".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harinimnida)
    Egalitarian is a better way to describe my thoughts. I'm happy with being called that.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It was going so good...then it went so bad...

ReputationRep:
    x
    Finally a guy who talks sense!!!
    I agree with this as well

ReputationRep:
    -snip-
    You were doing so well until you mentioned "Male supremacy".

(Original post by harinimnida)
    Huzzah! Someone else who actually knows this word.

:banana:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Inclusive Feminism is the way forward. Props.

ReputationRep:
    I see 2 players like using the opening moves of Nf3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Inb4 "If a guy's a feminist he's beta and subservient to feminazis".
    I see the feminists have already neutered you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    It was going so good...then it went so bad...
    What do you mean by the latter ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH127)

Huzzah! Someone else who actually knows this word.

:banana:
    Wait...what?

ReputationRep:
    Neither partner should dominate
    Unless it's in the bedroom :sexface:

On a serious note, I'm glad you feel comfortable calling yourself a feminist, and I agree that men and women are different, but not all gender roles are beneficial. If it's decided by both parties that the woman will do the cooking, for example, then that's great, but it shouldn't be a presumptive thing and definitely shouldn't be imposed upon us as the "norm". The gender roles that I loathe are the idea that men have to be macho, fearless, and strong, and women have to be "easy on the eyes", elegant, and submissive, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH127)
    Do you agree with male supremacy ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I see the feminists have already neutered you.
    I'm not a feminist, I'm just anticipating that sooner or later someone will come up with that reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Wait...what?
    Which part confuses you?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.