The Student Room Group

Women and age

What do you think of older women? I'm talking women in their 40's and 50's who say are athletic and have kept themselves fit so still have the tight body and stay active.I'm not asking would you date one or anything but I mean are women allowed to age and still remain 'attractive'? Or are women not really valued as they age is it all about youth and fertility. There's the biological theory but then there's the cougar thing suggesting women are always valued for sex like men are.
Reply 1
anyone
Of course older women can be attractive. Just as older men can be attractive, so can women
Reply 3
Original post by georgiaswift
Of course older women can be attractive. Just as older men can be attractive, so can women

I think the fact that lots of women let themselves go with age, put on weight etc, doesnt help as women get judged more on appearance than men afterall. The average 50 year old women is often imagined as overweight with frumpy clothes but i guess it doesnt have to be this way she could choose to be athletic etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think of older women? I'm talking women in their 40's and 50's who say are athletic and have kept themselves fit so still have the tight body and stay active.I'm not asking would you date one or anything but I mean are women allowed to age and still remain 'attractive'? Or are women not really valued as they age is it all about youth and fertility. There's the biological theory but then there's the cougar thing suggesting women are always valued for sex like men are.

Woman usually deteriorate in beauty as they get older, sure there are sexy Cougars out there but even they are losing their beauty. I would never date a much much older woman being a young guy.

One because we would barely have nothing in common , two I most likely would not be attracted to her and three I'm not a gold digger. Nice for any person to keep themselves fit , don't think it will attract younger guys though most likely the younger guy will just want sex nothing longterm.

The reason why mens value increases as they age is because the fact is males from teenage years to mature years are only valued for what they can offer materially , they are treated like commodities hence why there is such a high level of male suicide at about that middle aged period these days ( likely even teenage years) because that's all they see as their worth and that's what society teaches men and women. So although the successful 40 yr old male may be happy and still attract women the unsuccessful 49 yr old male is highly likely having an awful time, so not all men have it good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
So, does it really matter. As men and women age they get less sexually attractive. You're kidding yourself if you think you'll have the same wow factor in your 40s. And it's probably a bit worse for women where beauty is a preoccupation, not to mention the toll child bearing seems to take on the body. I sometimes wonder how women who were complete babes in their youth feel when they age. But they're still the same person, still feminine and with a lot more sense and maturity. Does no harm to look after yourself mind.
Reply 6
Original post by Mancini
Woman usually deteriorate in beauty as they get older, sure there are sexy Cougars out there but even they are losing their beauty. I would never date a much much older woman being a young guy.

One because we would barely have nothing in common , two I most likely would not be attracted to her and three I'm not a gold digger. Nice for any person to keep themselves fit , don't think it will attract younger guys though most likely the younger guy will just want sex nothing longterm.

The reason why mens value increases as they age is because the fact is males from teenage years to mature years are only valued for what they can offer materially , they are treated like commodities hence why there is such a high level of male suicide at about that middle aged period these days ( likely even teenage years) because that's all they see as their worth and that's what society teaches men and women. So although the successful 40 yr old male may be happy and still attract women the unsuccessful 49 yr old male is highly likely having an awful time, so not all men have it good.

If a younger guy wanted sex with an older woman that's still some value, like with sugar daddy's the young girl might sleep with him/use some of his money and then she would be off to a guy of similar age, I doubt she would want to be looking after him in his old age while she is still young.

Hm, I guess the stereotype is men seek the sex whereas women tend to seek relationships, relationships are much harder to get than sex and so the women don't get their desires met as much as men in older age, they ask for commitment ..more than men ask for.

The unsuccessful 49 year old male could surely get a woman his age though, since she would have decreased in 'value'.
Reply 7
Original post by Zarek
So, does it really matter. As men and women age they get less sexually attractive. You're kidding yourself if you think you'll have the same wow factor in your 40s. And it's probably a bit worse for women where beauty is a preoccupation, not to mention the toll child bearing seems to take on the body. I sometimes wonder how women who were complete babes in their youth feel when they age. But they're still the same person, still feminine and with a lot more sense and maturity. Does no harm to look after yourself mind.

Depends what the wow factor is lol. I've never had it myself anyway as I never wear skirts/dresses etc I'm a tomboy, men arn't interested now so unless I start dressing up when I'm older I doubt they will be interested then lol.
Reply 8
If a younger guy wanted sex with an older woman that's still some value, like with sugar daddy's the young girl might sleep with him/use some of his money and then she would be off to a guy of similar age, I doubt she would want to be looking after him in his old age while she is still young.

Hm, I guess the stereotype is men seek the sex whereas women tend to seek relationships, relationships are much harder to get than sex and so the women don't get their desires met as much as men in older age, they ask for commitment ..more than men ask for.

The unsuccessful 49 year old male could surely get a woman his age though, since she would have decreased in 'value'.

Yeah he probably could get a woman his age but I'm guessing even the unsuccessful 49 yr old truly would want a younger woman.

I think one problem with older women is they don't really approach younger men, also for an older woman to be with a younger men who is likely less successful then her in this day and age she would have to go backwards or should I say downgrade somethings in her life which I doubt most successful older women would want to do. I may sleep with an older woman but I doubt I'd want to be seen walking hand in hand with her. Talking huge age gaps here though like 20 yrs not 4. I think a lot of older women probably also get frustrated , they no longer have that ability they had when they were younger, guys no longer pay attention to them.

What age range are you in OP ? It's unclear to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mancini
Yeah he probably could get a woman his age but I'm guessing even the unsuccessful 49 yr old truly would want a younger woman.

I think one problem with older women is they don't really approach younger men, also for an older woman to be with a younger men who is likely less successful then her in this day and age she would have to go backwards or should I say downgrade somethings in her life which I doubt most successful older women would want to do. I may sleep with an older woman but I doubt I'd want to be seen walking hand in hand with her. Talking huge age gaps here though like 20 yrs not 4. I think a lot of older women probably also get frustrated , they no longer have that ability they had when they were younger, guys no longer pay attention to them.

What age range are you in OP ? It's unclear to me.

Is that lack of ability just age though or due to her putting on weight and letting herself go etc. If an older man has control over how attractive he is (working towards career/wealth etc) what control does the older woman have, none?

It's the same with a 49 year old woman though ideally she would want a nice looking man with a full head of hair. Why would an unsuccessful 49 year old man be unhappy with a woman who was the same age as him, expecially if she was in shape and he wasn't. I could understand him not wanting a 65 year old. I'm in my twenties but how is it relevant to topic lol.
Reply 10
Is that lack of ability just age though or due to her putting on weight and letting herself go etc. If an older man has control over how attractive he is (working towards career/wealth etc) what control does the older woman have, none?

It's the same with a 49 year old woman though ideally she would want a nice looking man with a full head of hair. Why would an unsuccessful 49 year old man be unhappy with a woman who was the same age as him, expecially if she was in shape and he wasn't. I could understand him not wanting a 65 year old. I'm in my twenties but how is it relevant to topic lol.

Well the unsuccessful 49 yr old male would possibly though not all men look at the successful 49 yr old with the 20 something he old female and think " I want some of that" unfortunately it's just a part of the human condition questioning ourselves.

I think your lack of ability question is for another person not sure what you are going on about. An older man only has control in that he is successful materially speaking if he had none of that he'd just be another older men. The older women does have control she too can aim younger and possibly get a younger partner if she wanted to depending on her looks it's unlikely though because men and women do not behave the same. I always find that women who try to behave like men are trying to make up for something or lying to themselves in the end it's more likely they will be disappointed.

I would never say an older women has nothing to offer , on the beauty scale though which is how most women are judged by the opposite sex she's fighting a losing battle. It's not instilled into women to take care of their partner the way a male takes care of his so this older younger relationship when it comes to older women and young men is unlikely.

It's highly unlikely a 49 yr old women would be in that much different shape to a man of same age. I only ask your age because I thought perhaps you were an older women but it seems once again you are just a young women asking a question and therefor have not experienced your mature years.

In some sense the decline in a women's beauty at that stage in life tells you something. A women sort of only understands the male experience of being ignored when her beauty deteriorates. As a man you will pretty much be ignored if you have nothing to offer materially or are unattractive. I would say man overall are treated harsher then women because they experience bad treatment from the opposite sex for a longer timespan so women have it easy.
(edited 8 years ago)
I find it sexy when they have experience, more mental savvy, and they have the confidence to go for a younger guy, I also love when they are not all proper about it, there's something about that unashamed sexuality and confidence in it, that she is worth every bit as much as the younger guy that is very sexy.
I find it sexy when they have experience, more mental savvy, and they have the confidence to go for a younger guy, I also love when they are not all proper about it, there's something about that unashamed sexuality and confidence in it, that she is worth every bit as much as the younger guy that is very sexy.

PRSOM! Awesome comment :smile:
I would go for an older woman. If she takes care of herself sure. I mean an older woman who takes care of herself is much better than a young person who doesn't.

Quick Reply