Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do medical schools feel about those who have retaken AS year when applying to GEM?
    I've had a look at entry requirements but a lot of medical schools bundle their 5 year course entry requirements with the 4 year course entry requirements so it's unclear.
    I know retakes aren't permitted when applying to the 5 year course (hence why I plan to apply for GEM), but I'm unsure if they're permitted when applying to GEM.

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out

ReputationRep:
    Most GEM courses care about:

- Your final "grade" for the degree you're doing or have done.
    - Performance on the medical tests (i.e. UKCAT or GAMSAT and I believe BMAT for Oxbridge?)
    - Extra curricular activities relevant to medicine.

That said, a number of them mention that they want an A level in either Biology or Chemistry at a specified grade. They most likely won't care about how you've attained them so long as you're a competitive applicant.

If you go on Cambridge's website they literally just ask for:
    • Applicants must have A Level Chemistry (normally passed within seven years of entry) and AS or A Level passes in two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics.
    So I doubt you'd have any problems.

:igh Stakes (another hopeful GEM applicant) - Currently Y13::

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Most GEM courses care about:

- Your final "grade" for the degree you're doing or have done.
    - Performance on the medical tests (i.e. UKCAT or GAMSAT and I believe BMAT for Oxbridge?)
    - Extra curricular activities relevant to medicine.

That said, a number of them mention that they want an A level in either Biology or Chemistry at a specified grade. They most likely won't care about how you've attained them so long as you're a competitive applicant.

If you go on Cambridge's website they literally just ask for:
    • Applicants must have A Level Chemistry (normally passed within seven years of entry) and AS or A Level passes in two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics.
    So I doubt you'd have any problems.

:igh Stakes (another hopeful GEM applicant) - Currently Y13::
    That's great!! Im super glad that I won't be limited because I'm resitting year 12. Hopefully this year I'll get the A's I want!

What are you planning to study at uni before GEM? I'm thinking either pharmacology or neuroscience but haven't got my heart set on anything yet. It's extremely strange looking at other courses this year since last year I was 100% stuck on medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyxrose)
    That's great!! Im super glad that I won't be limited because I'm resitting year 12. Hopefully this year I'll get the A's I want!

What are you planning to study at uni before GEM? I'm thinking either pharmacology or neuroscience but haven't got my heart set on anything yet. It's extremely strange looking at other courses this year since last year I was 100% stuck on medicine
    Thinking of probably Biochemistry - Will give me a good footing in both Biology and Chemistry so hopefully I'm still sharp in these areas when I take tests like the BMAT and GAMSAT that require knowledge of Biology and Chemistry.

It is strange, but I guess you have to have medicine as a long term goal. Work hard, and never get demotivated because it's in reach.

I'm also applying to some universities abroad, so I can have a pick at the end of the day depending on where I want to go and whether I want to jump straight into medicine or can wait 3 years and then apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Thinking of probably Biochemistry - Will give me a good footing in both Biology and Chemistry so hopefully I'm still sharp in these areas when I take tests like the BMAT and GAMSAT that require knowledge of Biology and Chemistry.

It is strange, but I guess you have to have medicine as a long term goal. Work hard, and never get demotivated because it's in reach.

I'm also applying to some universities abroad, so I can have a pick at the end of the day depending on where I want to go and whether I want to jump straight into medicine or can wait 3 years and then apply.
    Good thinking, sounds like you've done plenty of research. Hope all goes well this year

ReputationRep:
    It varies quite a bit. Some GEM admissions don't look at A Levels at all, it's purely down to your undergrad and admissions test. It does rule out Bristol for sure though as they require grad entrants to still have the minimum A Level requirements to have been taken in a single sitting.

Just make sure you choose a first degree that you will enjoy and has reasonable job prospects to allow you to a) save up for the course fees that loans and NHS bursary don't cover and b) work a job that both fulfills you and will bolster your application should you be unsuccessful in your application immediately following graduation. Good luck with your goals.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.