Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do I wear for volunteering at a primary school? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting voluntary work at a primary school next week and am limited to the clothes I brought with me to uni. Can I wear leggings or does it have to be smart trousers?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't wear leggings it doesn't look very professional. Wear trousers if you can do.

ReputationRep:
    My school will only allow leggings if they are in place of tights, i.e. under a skirt or dress of reasonable length.

Generally speaking, avoid anything too tight or revealing. Remember you are working with children. It's not really appropriate to be wearing skin tight trousers (leggings) that leave nothing to the imagination. In fact, I would argue that's not really appropriate for basically any workplace, regardless of whether or not it involves working with children.

ReputationRep:
    Washable things.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Trousers would definitely be better, and it will make a better impression. I wore jeans and a blouse/jumper, or {reasonably modest} dresses, and I thought that was about right

Just go in casual, but erring on the smart side. It really depends on the school!

So long as you're not flashing cleavage or wearing tracksuit bottoms, I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Go smart-casual. For most schools, leggins are fine as long as they are not jeans. If you're really worried, just go smart for the first day and check what the other teachers are wearing.

I mainly used to wear a dress and jacket, or leggins and a nice top. Just don't flash and make sure everything is knee length and you'll be fine.

Source: work experience in multiple schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    My school will only allow leggings if they are in place of tights, i.e. under a skirt or dress of reasonable length.

Generally speaking, avoid anything too tight or revealing. Remember you are working with children. It's not really appropriate to be wearing skin tight trousers (leggings) that leave nothing to the imagination. In fact, I would argue that's not really appropriate for basically any workplace, regardless of whether or not it involves working with children.
    You will have your human instincts in your own time :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    You will have your human instincts in your own time :fuhrer:
    Excuse me?

ReputationRep:
    At my placement I wear the same as most of the teachers. I usually wear a dress, tights, heels, and sometimes a black cardigan. I only wear leggings if it's with a smarter top or dress. I wear sensible dresses and make sure I can bend down safely in them! There is a lot of bending down involved when working with the lower primary years!!

ReputationRep:
    http://wallpoper.com/images/00/38/67...k_00386717.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Don't make me card you, you naughty bear.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.