Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this a normal way to think? watch

Announcements

I'm intent on being the one who ends my life some day. Whether it's suicide at 25, or euthanasia at 75, I just want it to be me who ends my life - I want to have that power.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think the need for control is normal yes. It only becomes abnormal if you become completely obsessed by this and it interferes with your daily functioning, or if you act on these thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    To put my psychologist hat on, if I put money on it, you have just witnessed a loved grandmother/grandfather go through the horrible last stages of terminal illness? If so, a perfectly normal way to think!

if not...........I would question why you feel like this. If like Noodizzz says it interferes with your life as well, get help!

i think the euthanasia bit is normal

but the suicide bit ain't

but I totally relate - but i don't think it's normal

I don't want to be able to expect it when it comes - and since death usually just happens suddenly even if it's from old age - I wouldn't be expecting it...

if it was euthanasia or suicide I could plan a speech, hand my stuff out, say my goodbyes etc

but i'm not suicidal... or euthanasial hehe

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to die? Is there something innit for you? If yes you are sane to a degree. If not you are sane to a degree.
    Based on my opinion i would love to have the power to control life especially muself but i would do so in order to extend my lifespan not end it so i do think your weird.

(Original post by Personinsertname)
    Why do you want to die? Is there something innit for you? If yes you are sane to a degree. If not you are sane to a degree.
    Based on my opinion i would love to have the power to control life especially muself but i would do so in order to extend my lifespan not end it so i do think your weird.
    what if you knew that in 2 weeks you were gonna get in a really really bad car accident and survive - paralysed with a whole load of brain damage so that now you're basically a lump of flesh that people clean up after and you sit there drooling and rotting away - wired to all these different devices just to keep you breathing - until you naturally stop working and finally get to rest in peace - escape the lifeless body you were trapped inside...

would you take your life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm intent on being the one who ends my life some day. Whether it's suicide at 25, or euthanasia at 75, I just want it to be me who ends my life - I want to have that power.
    Or you could just not think about dying...

ReputationRep:
    Euthanasia (once also suicide) is illegal because if you allow people to plan their own deaths their decrepitude can't be mined for profit. Even worse, they can organise their tax affairs.

(Original post by Alexion)
    Or you could just not think about dying...
    easier said than done unfortunately

idk bout OP but i can't control my racing thoughts

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    Euthanasia (once also suicide) is illegal because if you allow people to plan their own deaths their decrepitude can't be mined for profit. Even worse, they can organise their tax affairs.
    how can it be illegal if you don't live to get your punishment?

ReputationRep:
    what if you knew that in 2 weeks you were gonna get in a really really bad car accident and survive - paralysed with a whole load of brain damage so that now you're basically a lump of flesh that people clean up after and you sit there drooling and rotting away - wired to all these different devices just to keep you breathing - until you naturally stop working and finally get to rest in peace - escape the lifeless body you were trapped inside...

would you take your life?
    Well to be capable to type here in most cases would be hard for someone in that accident and no i would not take my life. I would abandon all hope and be blind in faith of technology that will repair and heal me. The future is stem cells!

ReputationRep:
    how can it be illegal if you don't live to get your punishment?
    Well it was technically illegal in law, and you were not entitled to a proper burial which meant in the tradition you couldn't go to heaven. Furthermore it's illegal in scripture which is basically what was considered the basic law back then. I wouldn't be surprised if descendants of suicides inherited their debts or some other discouragement.

As for euthanasia obviously illegal for the euthaniser.

(Original post by Personinsertname)
    Well to be capable to type here in most cases would be hard for someone in that accident and no i would not take my life. I would abandon all hope and be blind in faith of technology that will repair and heal me. The future is stem cells!
    No omg I was saying imagine that would happen to you. Like if you knew something like that would happen in the next week - tbh I'd rather just die than live like that. BUT i agree

THE FUTURE IS IN STEM CELLS **** YEAH

idgaf if it's unethical i need to see Wolverine powers become reality

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    Well it was technically illegal in law, and you were not entitled to a proper burial which meant in the tradition you couldn't go to heaven. Furthermore it's illegal in scripture which is basically what was considered the basic law back then. I wouldn't be surprised if descendants of suicides inherited their debts or some other discouragement.
    hmmm punishing their family for what they did seems unfair tbh. Sucks because people who commit suicide are still people and should be treated with respect... i'm glad euthanasia has been legalised in some countries

ReputationRep:
    At least you dont want "the power" of ending other peoples lives (I hope)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.