Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this healthy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically this morning I checked my body fat % on one of those calipers and it said I was at 5%, spoke to my friend about this when my clothe weren't fitting anymore, and he said that being at such a low body fat is really unhealthy for my health and can hold a lot of side effects. I can see the striations in my glutes and shoulders and veins are sticking out of my arms, lower abs and pretty much everywhere. I have no water retention on my body, just bone muscle and blood.

So I was bulking for 15 months consuming a minimum of 2500-3000 calories a day so I could build a substantiate amount of muscle, luckily I managed to put on a few pounds of muscle in that time period, and when I was happy with my results I then decided to cut back going on a strenuous intermittent fasting I am an ectomorph so genetically I lose weight very fast anyway, so for 16 hours I was consuming only fluids like water and sugarless drinks, and the fat just melted at a click of a finger.

But my problem is I might have over done it, aesthetically it's pleasing to see how ripped I am, but I can see the striations on my glutes and shoulders, and veins are pretty much sticking everywhere on my body especially on my lower abs.

So should I be worried, and should I increase my calories again to up my body fat to 8-9%, or am I fine at staying at 5% in the long run?

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

I guess TSR probably isn't the best place, to ask about fitness issues. :/

Might have to ask someone who is more pro in this subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ya Dunno)
    Bump.

I guess TSR probably isn't the best place, to ask about fitness issues. :/

Might have to ask someone who is more pro in this subject.
    I'd suggest its best to maintain a healthy body fat %, 5% sounds dangerously low to me and judging by your observations it's obvious you might be overdoing it. Even the finest olympic atheletes have to maintain a healthy body fat % otherwise they could get injured during exercise. So I'd suggest you take it easy, and slowly increase your body fat % to safe levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scopeowner)
    I'd suggest its best to maintain a healthy body fat %, 5% sounds dangerously low to me and judging by your observations it's obvious you might be overdoing it. Even the finest olympic atheletes have to maintain a healthy body fat % otherwise they could get injured during exercise. So I'd suggest you take it easy, and slowly increase your body fat % to safe levels.
    Oh right, thank you for the good advice, and yeah you're right, I'll try to increase my calories and bring my weight back up again.

ReputationRep:
    5% is dangerous. If you catch some disease or illness and you are 5% bf, you are going to drop dead.

ReputationRep:
    That is pretty low..many professional body builders only drop their body fat % below 5% during competition times. A healthy body fat and still have the 6 pack would be ~10% with exercise of course

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest talking to your doctor about it? As long as your calorie intake is 20-35% fats (which can be healthy - avocado, nuts, coconut oil, rapeseed oil for cooking etc), you should be fine. You could have a healthy amount of fat but the unusually high amount of muscle tissue is just influencing the percentage? Are you experiencing any symptoms of a fat deficiency?

ReputationRep:
    no pics no care

you know 5% is what IFBB pro's step onstage at? and they're only able to maintain it for a few hours, if you were actually at 5% bodyfat you would feel like utter crap, have zero sex drive and be on the verge of death, you aren't 5% bf

ReputationRep:
    It would be dangerous if it were true, but it's more likely that you're measuring it incorrectly

ReputationRep:
    I bulk too and 5% body fat is definitely too low mate, bring it back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    no pics no care

you know 5% is what IFBB pro's step onstage at? and they're only able to maintain it for a few hours, if you were actually at 5% bodyfat you would feel like utter crap, have zero sex drive and be on the verge of death, you aren't 5% bf
    This, Opie you're not 5%, calipers have an error margin of like 5%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    I'd suggest talking to your doctor about it? As long as your calorie intake is 20-35% fats (which can be healthy - avocado, nuts, coconut oil, rapeseed oil for cooking etc), you should be fine. You could have a healthy amount of fat but the unusually high amount of muscle tissue is just influencing the percentage? Are you experiencing any symptoms of a fat deficiency?
    Thank you for the advice.

And no, I might have miscalculated, as I don't suffer from any of the fat deficiency symptoms, the only one is constant urination, but that's about it.

But Thank you for your input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ya Dunno)
    Thank you for the advice.

And no, I might have miscalculated, as I don't suffer from any of the fat deficiency symptoms, the only one is constant urination, but that's about it.

But Thank you for your input.
    you're welcome! glad I could be of come help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    no pics no care

Yeah you're right, I think I miscalculated, those calipers aren't very accurate.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.