Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this unhealthy in the long run? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically this morning I checked my body fat % on one of those calipers and it said I was at 5%, spoke to my friend about this when my clothe weren't fitting anymore, and he said that being at such a low body fat is really unhealthy for my health and can hold a lot of side effects. I can see the striations in my glutes and shoulders and veins are sticking out of my arms, lower abs and pretty much everywhere. I have no water retention on my body anymore, just bone muscle and blood.

So I was bulking for 15 months consuming a minimum of 2500-3000 calories a day so I could build a substantiate amount of muscle, luckily I managed to put on a few pounds of muscle in that time period, and when I was happy with my results I then decided to cut back going on a strenuous intermittent fasting I am an ectomorph so genetically I lose weight very fast anyway, so for 16 hours I was consuming only fluids like water and sugarless drinks, and the fat just melted at a click of a finger.

But my problem is I might have over done it, aesthetically it's pleasing to see how ripped I am, but I can see the striations on my glutes and shoulders, and veins are pretty much sticking everywhere on my body especially on my lower abs.

So should I be worried, and should I increase my calories again to up my body fat to 8-9%, or am I fine at staying at 5% in the long run?

ReputationRep:
    Stay shredded brah. Be a sick **** not a sad **** I'm mirin
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Many things

1) Very few people are actually are 5%
    2) If you've fasted on liquid, you've lost water most likely rather than fat
    3) Ectomorph = doesn't know how to eat
    4) If you're actually 5% - that's not healthy
    5) You sound like you could well have an unhealthy relationship with food etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Many things

Very good reply.

"Ectomorph = doesn't know how to eat" is completely true. Off topic here, but I hate when people make threads saying how they are skinny and they have tried so hard to put on weight but nothing works because they have a fast metabolism and they are an ectomorph. Bull****, eat more.

I also doubt he is 5%. From what I've heard, if he was 5% he would likely be having trouble with sex drive, erectile dysfunction etc etc, which he didn't mention.

ReputationRep:
    Few people lose weight fast through baseline metabolism, and probably isn't that in your case (usually in metabolic disease states), only perceptual bias.
    Don't fast, its very bad; especially if... you're only 5% fat... and I'm assuming not that much muscle mass to catabolise away.
    Just eat a normal diet.

ReputationRep:
    OP Expectations

OP Reality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyJelly)
    OP Expectations
    OP said 5% body fat. That is around 12%.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but i highly doubt your 5% , in order to maintain such a low body fat you would need very strict dieting even with a revved metabolism. Btw a picture would help greatly and how much you weight/ height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squats and milk)
    OP said 5% body fat. That is around 12%.
    Meh.

ReputationRep:
    Appreciate the dedication involved in maintaining such a fat % but that low is going to cause you some health problems, hormonal production/fertility etc etc.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Many things

Yeah you're probably right, I might have miscalculated. Those calipers aren't always so trustworthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    No offence but i highly doubt your 5% , in order to maintain such a low body fat you would need very strict dieting even with a revved metabolism. Btw a picture would help greatly and how much you weight/ height.
    Okay I'll post a pic when I get back home, I am around 183 cm I am not too sure on my exact weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwoTribes94)
    Appreciate the dedication involved in maintaining such a fat % but that low is going to cause you some health problems, hormonal production/fertility etc etc.
    I know, I probably miscalculated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saeed97)
    Tbh I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I am lying?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.